Anschutz Match Model 54

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Art43, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Art43

Art43 New Member

I just acquired an Anschutz Match Model 54, serial number 61725J.G. Anschutz GMBH, Waffenfabrik U1m/D Germany stamped on the barrel. It is a single shot .22LR. Under the forearm, it has a sliding sling swivel, 27 1/2" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, and grooved receiver.

My question is 1) does anyone know what year it was made and where I can download a manual from, and 2) the value, 95%.

Thank you,
    Art43
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Art........welcome to TFF. :)

Hmmmm....I'm a bit puzzled here. The only Anschutz Models 54 shown in the Blue Book and the Standard Catalog of Firearms are Sporters with a 5-shot detachable magazine. The Model 54 in .22 LR and the Model 54M in .22 Magnum.

Might it possibly be the Model 64?
  3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I had a Anschutz Model 54, single shot, match rifle, with adjustable butthook, palm rest, and forend stop. I gave it to my grandson. I bought it in Germany in the '70's.
  4. Art43

Art43 New Member

Glad to be here. Nope, it is a model 54 Match. I put a Lyman Super Target Spot, 20 power, scope on it. The barrel and the receivers already had the Lyman bases. I haven't shot it yet, as the weather is bad, can't wait to get out. Hope to find some information.
    Thanks,
    Art43
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

6. Art43

Art43 New Member

artabr

Thanks for the info, still looking for more information. They did not have a model 54 in there. Art43
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

Look on the left side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. You should see a few stampings similar to these.

[​IMG]

The two digits are in this case 1963. The rifle is mine and it is a model 54 action, with a stock like yours. I have some info on this rifle from Anschutz in Germany, and if you'd like to PM me your mailing address, I'll be glad to copy and mail it to you.

Jay
  8. Art43

Art43 New Member

JAY
    I sent you a PM. 3 or 4 days ago. Hope you got it .
    ART43
  9. Jay

Jay New Member

Hi Art,

I got your PM on March 16th, but nothing since then. As I said, you're welcome to the info, but it's 40 pages worth, and would be happy to copy it and mail you a copy, if you'll PM me your mailing address. I was able to get it from a gent in Germany several years ago, and it's in English and German. I just don't have the info in a format that would allow me to e-mail it.

Regards, Jay
  10. Art43

Art43 New Member

Say Hay Jay
    I thank you for all your help and kind offer. My wife worked some majic(?) on the computer, and the printer is spitting out page after page of info. from Germany about my rifle. Thanks again
    ART43
    I see your wings, I was in the airborn (ARMY, 173 ABN 2ND BAT 503INF. 4.2" MOTAR BATT.)
    62-64
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

Glad you got the info. Seems like there's not much of it around on those rifles.
  12. asprec

asprec New Member

Hi Art,

Just joined the forum because of some info I need. I saw your post re the need for a manual for the Modell 54. I have one and can scan it and send to your email if you still want to collect it. I read a later post that the original owner of the rifle sent one to you.

I own three units of Match 54 in different combinations:
    -Modell Match 54
    -Match 54
    -Modell 54 Super Match

It was confusing, and I didn't think anything about it.

I collect single shot target rifles, I have 5 Anschutz and 2 Hammerli. I just got an itch for it. I wanted to get some info too. What has more value: a Match 54 or a 1408?

Single shot Anschutz are hard to come by. All those that I acquired were through 2nd or 3rd ownership. The wooden stock on some rifles were severely mutilated by their unscrupulous owners.

Nevertheless, i was able to restore them all, its a hobby (i restore antique furniture)

Thanks in advance.

Asprec
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  13. jdelayknee

jdelayknee New Member

I have a model 54 super match. My dad bought it in Germany new. I used it on my college rifle team in 1967 and it hasn't been fired since. I think I still have all the accessesories. I have all the sight stuff in the original box. Also have the original user manual. Not much wear and tear - just age.
  14. Mongose

Mongose New Member

I looking for a decent 22lr brenchrest rifle. Do you have any interest in selling yours?
  15. highscore

highscore New Member

I have the same model and am trying to research how much it is worth. Mine was produced in 1962 and is definately a Model 54 Super Match. My original plan was to either turn it into a benchrest or prone rifle. After 6 years and shooting it only twice, it may be time to let it go to someone who just might use it. It has what I would think are the original iron sights on it. Grooved for a scope and is tapped for mounting blocks. Finish has been touched up on the receiver but if I built something out of it, it was going to get refinished anyway, thanks.
  16. mangusta

mangusta New Member

The Anschutz Match 54 action is present in a large number of models from 14, 16, 18, 19 and even the 20 series rifles (known as the Square 54 action).

There was a model released called the "Match 54" This is an early 14 series model.

Basic identification:
    14 has a tab on the rear of the bolt on the opposite side to the bolt handle
    16 has a rounded back, and when removed, the firing pin can be seen through a slot in the bolt

18 & 19 same rounded back, no slot underneath. The only difference between the 18 and 19 is the foresight, 18 actions have a dovetail screwed onto the barrel at the end, 19 has a thickened barrel with a dovetail cut into it.

The second pair of numbers identifies the stock design of the rifle, 07, 10 and 11 are prone stocks, 13 is a positional stock.

Also, 11 and 13 rifles are fitted with a heavier barrel, which is usually marked "Match 54 Supermatch" however, the 13 stock is usually what is referred to as the supermatch.

If you post Pics, I can prob help identify specific models, for those with year markings, 60's is probably a 14 series, still a formiddable target rifle today.
  17. scubaguy

scubaguy New Member

I see there is currently a 1966 single shot version up for auction at thegunrunner.com until 6/15. Haven't seen one of those in awhile. 45 years old and it looks like it's fresh out of the carton. Wow!
  18. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

All Target rifles with the 54 action ARE single shots. I think the only repeaters are in the sporting rifle line up....

FYI...Kirk
  19. texstar

texstar New Member

I have a 1967 Anschutz Modell Match 54, serial number 62396 I would like to sell and was wondering what it would be worth. It is in very good condition.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  20. tpotts

tpotts New Member

What sights and accessories does it have?