Answer.........Honestly

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by potato_sniper, May 24, 2003.

1. calicollector

calicollector New Member

re: Scope Eye

nope, never got me a case of scope eye yet, least that i can remember. ive got some scars in my eyebrows, but those are from other things.... i did knock the crap out of myself on one particular occasion not just once, but twice back to back shooting a buddies 12 gauge 870 Express 3.5" mag... id shot it before, no problems, even with the shortened stock due to its his goose gun. he decided he wanted me to try out his hand loads that day and tell him what i thought. same hand loads he uses to bring down clients geese at 80+ when they just wound em. hes a liscensed guide btw. so with 3 hand rolled shells off i go to take my vengence upon some clays on the side of a hill that id missed earlier in the day. load all 3 shells, suck it up good and tight into my shoulder, hit the trigger, BLAM!!!!!! damn shotgun jumped up out of the pocket, thumb damn near got shoved up my nose, knocked the crap out of my nose and jaw. shake my head to clear it, shuck the slide, reseat the shotgun into the now PAINful pocket of my shoulder. hang on REAL REAL tight this time!! hit the trigger, BLAM!!!!!!!! shotgun jumps up again right out of the pocket, jams my thumb into my nose, beats up my jaw and cheek a tad, and knocks the hot water out of my shoulder. after i shook my head again, shucked the slide, got ready to light off the 3rd and final, lowered the shotgun, shucked the shell out into my hand and returned him his 3.5" 870 and the 3rd shell, thank you VERY F!(*&*(&&ng MUCH!! then went and blew the little bit of blood out of my nose.... lol ahhh that was a fun trip...
    i knew the stock was shortened, id shot it before, but man are his handloads brutal!!
    Ray in California
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Doc,
    The rifle dotted my eye for me. As FirstInLine was with me that day, I didn't,,,,uhhhhhh,,,,I think I'll just let that go, now.
  3. Feral_Goz

Feral_Goz New Member

Had a 30-30 Winchester smack me over the eye once. Once was enough. Didn't break the skin but hurt like hell. Fortunately there was only 1 witness who knows better than to tell. I suppose I had gotten too used to my .223 and "forgot" that the 30 had a tad more kick. Hasn't happened again.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Welcome, Feral_Goz.

Hope you will join us often and post often.
  5. the major

the major New Member

Never been Scope Bit yeat, but back in '61 I bought a mail-order 1917 Colt from the Rail Road Express, and while shooting the first 6 shot clip through it, got the pistol up real close so I could take a fine bead, and when she recoiled, that big shark fin of a front sight planted itself right between my eyes!!
  6. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

Yea, I got bit once. I was leaning into my Ruger 77 338 Win Mag at an odd angle and when I touched off the round, the scope hit me right in the forehead. It only left a red mark. It still faintly there. I won't make that mistake again.
    Good Shooting, John K
  7. 91/59

91/59 New Member

A friend had a Marlin 1895 .45/70 with a scope and warm handloads.
    We were taking turns trying to hit a soda can at 100 yards without any luck.
    After 20 rounds or so, I crept up on the scope and fired, managing to nail myself above the right eye. No blood, just a bruised ego, although thankfully I did hit the can.
    That was 24 years ago and it hasn't happened since.

91/59
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

not happened to me ever. but I have done other things like that, both barrels on my maroke 12 gauge went off and knocked my ass unconscoius cause I did not shoulder the gun correctly.