Antique 1841 competition 50 cal

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by alaska shooter, Oct 11, 2009.

1. alaska shooter

alaska shooter New Member

Is there anyone out there that can give me some more information on this pristine 1841 custom made muzzel loader?

Here is a link to a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB9grJrjYXk

The barrel is 33" and stamped Remington, then under that "cast steel". The overall length is 51" and the lock and barrel are both stamped "E.S. Johnson". She weighs about 16#.
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well itis all custome. It is a shooters custome also, What I mean by that is hat is was made for the person not mass produced. It was probly put together about the same time the barrell was manufactured also since they like to us new matrials. The biggest give away on this rifle is the butt plate. THere was some that were made with butt plates like that but they were exreamly rare and not used very often becouse of the cumbersome nature. Look the rifle over closely and see if there is some initials or a company name on it some where. It is most likely gonna be on the butt plate since it is brass.

Another thing to take not is that these were not popular patforms for hunters or riders. THis gun is for a marksman and also for the wealthy. Your average Joe didt buy this type of rifle.

How did you come across this one anyway?
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I aplogize I didnt see there it said E.S. Johnson let me see what I can find.
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

It is a target rifle--possibly a chunk gun. It has a false muzzle for precise loading and it protects the muzzle. Do a Google Images search for "chunk guns" or "over the log shoot" or "muzzleloading bench rifle" or "muzzleloading target rifle" and you should find something.