The Firearms Forum banner

antique Blunderbuss short range musket

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Joemill6971 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#4 ·
Does the barrel have any Proof Marks and is there a name on the barrel. If so could you take a picture of them? More detailed pictures of the lock and the side plate (opposite side of the lock) would also be beneficial in helping you.

I have seen all sorts of these in Afghanistan, and most of them were Khyper Pass Copies (locally produced). They often had incorrect proof markings on the barrel and locks with common word misspellings. Sometimes they would also create ‘Frankenstein guns’ out of old parts and new parts to make a complete rifle. They also use sawdust and glue as filler for the gaps around the ‘mother of pearl’ inlaying. They would also use machined screws rather that the handmade screws which were used in the 1800’s.

I realize the gun was in your house for approximately 20 years, but these muzzle loaders have also been produced in India and Pakistan for years and generally are not safe to shoot. It looks like there are rounded head screws going thru the side plate, and those had not been invented at the time when this gun would have been manufactured. While it does not indicate the gun is not authentic, it is reason to proceed with caution while trying to evaluate this gun.

#7 ·
If you look at the link you initially provided there are several differences between your blunderbuss and the Belgium blunderbuss. The lock on the museum piece is marked with a name behind the hammer, but your lock does not have any markings indicating a manufacturer. I included a picture of a smoothbore flintlock with a manufacture marking on the lock plate for an example. It’s hard to make out in the picture but it is right in the middle near the silver flash spot. The frizzen should also show some wear where it is struck by the flint.

Another point to consider is the remarkable condition of the stock / inlaying and the condition of the barrel and lock. For a gun manufactured in the 1700’s to the mid 1800’s the finish and inlay work is in remarkable condition. The barrel and the bore should also show some pitting from being fired, as black powder is extremely corrosive.

The side plate also appears to have an extra hole. Side plates were decorative fixtures used to secure the lock to the right side of the gun. If you carefully unscrew the two screws on the left side, you will be able to pull the lock off the right side of the gun and inspect the inside of the gun. You can also look for discoloration and any voids in the gun stock indicating a non-original configuration. Check the lock to see if it has a genuine half cock. With the frizzen down and the hammer in the fired position, pull the hammer back to the first click, which will be your half cock. You should then be able to pull the frizzen back into place and hammer should not be touching the frizzen or close to it (remember the hammer has a flint that stick out about ¼ -1/2 inch.

The marking on the top looks like a manufacture marking, not a proof mark, and appears to Spanish or Italian. I have attached pictures of the proof marks on my Enfield 1858 for an example of a proof marking from a British Rifle of the 1850’s. The 25 is for bore size and the crown stamp is the manufacturer marking. Additional markings for the proof testing can be found under the barrel.

Also note the screws used to secure the hammer to the lock and the barrel to the stock. The commenter from the other website also pointed out the brazen hammer, which does appear to be modern repair. I agree that it appears to be similar to ones I have seen from the Middle East. It appears to me to be a parts gun with parts taken from a different gun to make a functional gun.

It is very difficult to evaluate the value of such a gun without having it in your hands and seeing what is going on with it and inside of it. I don’t want to put out a number that could be misleading based on four or five pictures. My goal was not to discredit your firearm rather to point out some of the common issues with these types of guns and have you make your own judgment.

I would suggest you go to *********.com or any other gun auction site and search for blunderbuss. They have many examples for sale on ********* and that could give you a baseline as to what they sell for.

Attachments

#8 ·
The rectangular barrel marking, which is typically Spanish, rectangular, several letters, sometimes words & syllables broken & on two lines, which could make the barrel Spanish. Nothing else indicates Spanish. Better pix, bigger, with detail in good light & focus are necessary to bring this out of the guesswork realm.

Since we are doing guesswork based on poor & scant evidence (pix of barrel mark & the one with it) I'd say it's a European pistol, mid to late 1700s, spent time in Middle East getting the triangular inlays, which could be old or tourist bait. Possible value $400 max.

This forum, since its recent rework, needs a new rework to correct its present screwed up photo access method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.