Antique book on bullet molds and powder shot measure.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Raven1, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

I am trying to do some research for a friend. Does any one know of any antique books that I might find the value of these items. These are iron single cavity, number on the handle that does not go with the caliber ( 10-.363 or 75-.395 or 16-.672 ). One is interesting that one handle is a screwdriver andthe other seems to be a barrel wrench.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    I seem to recall seeing a combination mould, screwdriver and barrel wrench like that in the Dixie Gun Works catalog long ago.
    I don't have a DGW catalog, but that company is online. A little searching of their website might find it.

In the old days, moulds were marked not with the ball diameter but with the number of balls per pound.
    Thus, a mould that produced a 20-gauge ball would have 62 marked on it.
    If I read your post correctly, you're puzzled by these markings. The "balls per pound" makes sense of it.

75 balls of .395 inch would equal about one pound.
    16 balls of .672 diameter would equal about one pound.

However, about 99 balls of .360 inch diameter would weigh one pound. Your mould is slightly larger, at .363, so it doesn't make sense. It should come in at about 95. I thought perhaps that you misread the 10 and it was actually 100, but even that figure would be incorrect.
    So, I'm stumped on the 10-.363 marking.

Dixie Gun Works may have books on antique bullet moulds and accessories. It would be a good site to start.

As to value, go to Ebay, *********.com or Auction Arms and see if a mould similar or identical to yours is in there. I know I've seen such things, on occasion, on Ebay. It's difficult to place a value on such thing, by and large, because it brings what people will pay. Sounds simple, but it's true.
    Antique moulds bearing the names of famous gunmakers such as Colt, Winchester, Sharps, etc. can bring up to a few hundred dollars, but it would have to be an uncommon caliber and in like-new condition.
    I'd suggest you check out Ebay, search "mold, mould, bullet" and see what prices are going.
    If nothing else, contact Dixie Gun Works and see if they'd be interested in purchasing it. They used to buy old, rare guns and accessories, I think they still do.
    Hope this helps.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The one with 16 - .672 is 16 gauge diameter. Gauge means how many balls can be produced with a pound of lead. Thus a 20 gauge will take a ball weighing 1/20th of a pound and 12 gauge will take a ball weighing 1/12th of a pound.

Gatofeo, how are you calculating the weight of ball by knowing the diameter? I think I once knew, but, like many things, I can't bring it out of the old mind. ;)

Pops
  4. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Weight of Round Ball (Short Method)
    A short-cut method of determining the weight (W) of a roundball when the diameter is known involves the use of a constant.
    W = 1502.6 x (Diameter x Diameter x Diameter)

Example for a .395 roundball: W = 1502.6 x .395 x .395 x .395 = 92.6 gr.

This and many other formulas related to ballistics may be found at:

http://members.aye.net/~bspen/math.html

A good place to put on your favorites list, or print it out.