Antique Flintlock Pistol - Can anybody ID it?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by moedog, Dec 23, 2010.

1. moedog

moedog New Member

Hi. I'm new here, and I have a question. My father-in-law gave me this old flintlock pistol and I'm trying to identify it. It's a smoothbore, about .69 caliber, and has the following stamps / marks, etc:

ELG* stamp on the left side of the barrel.
    Roman numerals (maybe) V I I I I I on the bottom of the barrel.
    It has some type of identifying stamp near the roman numeral looking marks.
    U V I is stamped on the bottom of the barrel.
    The stock is stamped 131, as is the bottom of the barrel tang (serial # ??).

I've looked at about a million pictures on the internet and haven't found anything quite like it. It appears to be similar to the Belgian flintlocks (the pirate model or something), but isn't exact.

I'm going to try to attach pictures of it.

Thanks for any help in this!!!!

Moe

Attached Files:

2. 22shot

22shot New Member

moedog

All I can say for sure is the barrel is Belguim; the proof marks in that little oval are ELG.

It's not a reproduction..

That's about it; the sideplate looks to be bare of any marks; except for what looks like random "pinpricks".

Welcome to TFF.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. moedog

moedog New Member

Thanks 22shot for the reply and the welcome.

This thing's driving me crazy!! There are literally no other marks on the lock mechanism or any other parts. The lock looks quite a bit like the other Belgian guns, but most of those have a stamp of some sort underneath the hammer. This one doesn't. And I haven't seen another one with a stock quite like this one, either. The stamp on the bottom of the barrel looks like someone standing in a sailboat with a star overhead. That's if you look at it one way. Look at it at another angle, and it sort of looks like a crown, but not really.

There's a ton of experience on this board, so I hope somebody can at least point me in a direction!!

Thanks again for your help.
    Moe
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum moedog i'm sure someone else will be along to help u-keep the faith
  5. moedog

moedog New Member

Thanks BETH!!
  6. moedog

moedog New Member

Here's one other thing if it helps...the stock is made of a type of wood I've never seen before. Those black spots in the wood appear to be part of the wood's grain. It's possible that it's some kind of tropical species, or at least not North American or European types usually used for building guns. I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd point it out since it's not clear from the pictures.

Moe
  7. 22shot

22shot New Member

moedog

When I was looking for that lock plate in my stuff, I came across one that is very similar; if not exact.
    P. 134; Dixie Gun Works 2011 catalog.
    It is a 2nd and 3rd Model Brown Bess.lockwork.

The over all shape of the plate is darn close; the hammer looks like a twin of what you have.

Maybe your flintlock was assembled from peices in it's day? Arrabian?

Tripolli was a big "pirate" base....

Just guessing; but?
  8. moedog

moedog New Member

Wow. I think you're onto something here. The lock is definitely close, if not exact (minus any decorative detail). I'll look more in the direction of northern Africa. If I find anything interesting, I'll post it.

This gun very well could have been built by a local gunsmith (or small to medium sized company), and if it was destined for pirates, they wouldn't make them too fancy to keep 'em cheap. I'll bet they got barrels from one source, locks from another, and then made their own stocks to fit.

Thanks 22shot. I've got a direction to go now!!!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  9. 22shot

22shot New Member

moedog

"Pirates" didn't have "companies" who made their weapons; they aquired them by force.
    It wouldn't be surprising that they made guns from busted up ones; I'm sure they had the skills.

It would be "cool" if you could put together the history of this flintlock!
  10. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

This is a relatively common Belgian Sea Service pistol. The type was sold throughout the world. A lot of them were sold to the British East India Company. There are two in the National Maritime Museum in England which can be seen at...
    http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/exp...cfm?ID=AAA2414

It is missing a through-stock lock bolt and the lanyard ring which should be on the butt.

BullShoot
  11. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Sorry, meant to post this earlier.... For additional markings, look on the lockplate just forward of the open bolt hole near the hammer. I think I can see traces of the anchor that should be at that location.

BullShoot
  12. moedog

moedog New Member

Thank you all very much for the information. This particular gun is missing quite a few things, including several screws and the hammer spring among other things. But it doesn't have too much rust on it at least!!

I took a look at the lockplate earlier, but it was a quick one. I'll look for the anchor.

I should be able to put this gun together so it looks good without too much effort.

Moe
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010