Antique KY long rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gunnovice, Dec 17, 2010.

1. gunnovice

gunnovice New Member

Just inherited an old KY long rifle. The gunmaker has his name stamped on top of barrel. Last name is Gumpf, which I understand was a family of gunsmiths in Lancaster, PA area is late 1700's thru late 1800's. There is a first initial which looks like an L or J. Lettering is in some type of old script so not sure of first initial. Trying to ascertain the exact gunsmith so I can ballpark the age. Gun is worn and wallhanger only. It has percussion ignition and smooth bore barrel.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Photographs would help. If your rifle was converted from flintlock to percussion we would be able to narrow down the list - or - if it was originally percussion, that helps narrow it down also. There are other clues, too - style of ornamentation as an example. Maybe someone will recognize that first initial. Whether it is an 'I' or a 'J' would be an indicator of age. Try the pictures and we can all put our heads together and see if we can come up with an answer for you.

BullShoot
  4. gunnovice

gunnovice New Member

Thanks for suggestion.....I will post some pictures in a few days.