antique musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Russell, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

I have an old musket in very good condition. The barrel is octagon, 36 1/2 inches long very thick and heavy. The stock is in very good condition except for a small crack opposite the lock next to the barrel. There is a thick brass cover over the butt. Most of the metal on the stock are engraved including the trigger cover. The name on the top of the barrel is Eagle Gun Factory. The name on the percussion lock is JAs Golcher. The lock is also engraved with a dog chasing two geese. On the inside of the patch box cover are the names JAs Golcher and Eagle Rifle Works. There is also a brass powder flask that goes with the gun. I have enclosed some pictures. Any idea what it is worth would be appreciated. Russell
    PA140038.jpg

PA140040.jpg

PA140042.jpg

PA140044.jpg
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Russle,

I am of little help here other than to say what you have is known as a "hawken" rifle. This refers to a type of rifle of usually larger caliber, with a half stock. It looks to be a fine example of one though. If it is an old original woth quite alot. If reproduction, not much. Looks to be of high quality, and I am sure someone will come along with lots more information. Best reguards and Happy New Year!! Kirk
  3. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Only been able to find a little about JAs Golcher and Eagle Gun Factory.

The Eagle Rifle/Gun Works was operated by James Golcher in Philadelphia and was in business from 1833 to 1851. The company was located at 138 N. 2nd Street. James died in 1880. If you are in the Philadelphia area you can have the gun appraised at one of the Pottstown Antique gun shows in March or November.

There are a couple of guns on the net by Eagle all appear to be similar to yours, but yours has much more intricate details.

Hope that gets you headed in the right direction

Beautiful rifle

Jake
  4. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks Kirk, your information is helpful. Happy New Year and as spock would say, live long and propser.
  5. Russell

Russell New Member

Many thanks Jake, the info you provided is great. I had managed to get info on James Golcher but never could find out where the eagle gun factory was located in Phila. Happy New Year Russ
  6. Willie

Willie Active Member

I could not find anything on this gun either. Still it seems like a nice piece,if you want to sell ,pm me and we can talk.
  7. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Oddly enough while looking I found this old post from where?

Why TFF:D
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15556

Here is another site posting
    http://oldguns.net/q&a8_03.htm

This site lists American gun manufacturers.
    www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/IE6/index.htmlhe rifle itself

From what I can find it looks like Golcher was a lock manufacturer and apparently made only a few rifles and pistols. He did however provide locks to a lot of other manufacturers both here and abroad. I see his name on the picture you provided on the lock is it anywhere on the barrel?

I found this site and it might be where you could get the information you are looking for. He will need detailed pictures of all aspects of the gun, but he may be able to give you some answers
    http://www.gabelguns.com/default.asp

Hope this helps somemore

Jake