1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Antique Musket??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jonty, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jonty

jonty New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jonty......welcome to TFF. :)

Your rifle appears to be a British Enfield Model 1858 two-band percussion rifle in caliber .577.

See here: http://www.edsmart.com/jz/guns.htm (scroll down to "1858 Enfield Rifle)

These rifles would, indeed, been used by both the British East India Company and the British Army in India.

As for value.....sorry, I can't help you there.
  3. jonty

jonty New Member

hi Xracer,

thankyou very much for the info, its great to find out more about these old guns

jonty
  4. jonty

jonty New Member

i might add that an antique dealer recently quoted me around $200 per gun, does that sound right considering the age? i want to be sure he will not be ripping us off

many thanks
    Jonty
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hi
    Bit late in here but for what it's worth I think they are copies of Enfields made in India, possibly in the 1860s, though could be much later. If they were in the UK your $200.00 offer from a dealer would be reasonable.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, I don't think your rifles are copies (not the real thing) of the 1858 Enfield. I think that they're 1858 Enfields built at a British Government Arsenal in India.....much the same as Enfield rifles were built in Ishipore, India, during WWII.

I also think that $200 is too low......heck, Model 1858 reproductions sell for a lot more than that.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...d=891&osCsid=382fd2a540a947e58864fd2e30f71031