Antique Muzzleloader 1800's

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Widegren, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The skull and crossbones plate looks like it is, or was made from, a belt buckle.

The lockplate is not a conversion, but the hammer looks like it has been broken off and repaired by welding at some point. The trigger guard looks like it cracked lengthwise. It does not appear to be of the same quality as the rest of the gun.

Jim
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Jim, the appearance of the front trigger guard tang looks more like casting flaws not polished out than a crack to me, and it's also roughly inletted. It may be a replacement from Dixie Gun Works or similar source.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Maybe, but either way it would not be something a competent gunsmith of the mid-1800's would turn out. The darned trouble with guns like that is that they first look good, but then you find some little thing that doesn't seem right, then you look deeper and find.... I could go on, but I think you know what I mean.

A good example is the "Colt" Single Action in "Colt Revolver Question / ID", a nearby thread. It looks beautiful until... well, take a look.

Jim
  4. Widegren

Widegren New Member

Sorry for the delay, I have not had a chance to grab the camera with christmas just around the corrner. I have attached a few more pictures to take a look at. Thanks again for the help and advice.
    Happy Holidays!

Attached Files:

5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Nose cap is poured, stock does not appear to be shortened. Beautiful plum patina on barrel, no evidence of it having been cradled in a longer forearm. Lock maker is RB in a scroll--no idea who he is, but I have its twin:
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=74322&highlight=chunk.

Hammer was broken and brazed. Stock may have had a clear finish added. It appears to be original except for the trigger guard and those damn tack and skull and cross bones. Probably 1850-1880. Probably western PA or Ohio origin. How much does it weigh? If 12 lbs or more, it is probably an old chunk. If it hadn't been messed with, would probably be worth about a grand.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. Widegren

Widegren New Member

7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

So, you're a dealer? Gun is missing the dovetailed plate that the stock pin goes through, which is why the barrel is popping up--probably why the tang is broken. Pictures don't tell much else.
  8. Widegren

Widegren New Member

I collect different items from the 1800's and enjoy learning as much as I can to help educate people about there past but, with this gun was a huge mystery to me with hard to read markings and alot of things that just would not add up, so I had a friend recommend asking the experts on a gun forum. This is my first firearm and you can bet not my last... My wife and I are looking at our first hand gun. There is a shooting range getting ready to open across the street from our house and I think we got the bug.
  9. jerrysch

jerrysch New Member

widegren I think I have the same gun as you