Antique Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dusty, Oct 30, 2012.

1. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

While you're examining the bore, measure with the ramrod to insure there's not an ancient load in there: It's amazing how often there is, and even 200 year old black powder can stll be good if it has remained dry!
  2. dusty

dusty New Member

Well, I'll take a wild guess over a tame guess any day - especially when it's that amount. If you run into anyone who is interested in a
    H. Schafer-small shop in Mayence-1750-converted flintlock for the low, low price of, oh, let's say $1995 for starters, let me know. I'll be checking back. I'm pretty sure there's someone somewhere willing to pay something for this piece. Thanks for all your help and interesting factoids.
  3. dusty

dusty New Member

hrf

thanks for the tip. i've done that and it appears that it's clear. i wonder if it would be worth more if there was an antique load in it. probably not.

p.s. wanna buy a real old gun? probably not.
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Dusty--I'm fairly certain that what you have is a "club butt" Dutch rifle from the middle-early1700s converted from flintlock to percussion. It could be Pennsylvania Dutch--is there a Mayence in PA?

People were a bit smaller back then and I suspect the stock was lengthened to accommodate a large man and the patch box lengthened (or added) as well. The trigger guard doesn't look quite right forward of the trigger. It appears to have been repaired and unlike the other brass, it is "proud" of the inlet--sticks up above the wood.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. dusty

dusty New Member

Buffalochip

Mayence is the French name for the city which is now Mainz, Germany. I did a web search and could find no Mayence in PA.

I'll do some more poking around, but, at this point, I think this is a rifle from Germany.
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Actually, in this instance, Dutch is in reference to Deutscheland (and not the Netherlands) and Dutch = German. So, we are in agreement.
  7. dusty

dusty New Member

I need to find a good, reputable place where I can sell this rifle. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  8. dusty

dusty New Member

Can anyone out there recommend a reputable dealer/broker/etc. where I can sell this piece?
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You could try Googling antique arms dealers for someone in your area. If there are any large gun shows in your area, there will usually be antique arms dealers. Get some bids if you can; those guys don't give out a lot of free help and didn't get the money for top notch collections by buying high and selling low.

Jim
  10. dusty

dusty New Member

Thanks for the info, Jim. I've googled and found several antique arms dealers, so i've got something to start with.
  11. dusty

dusty New Member

i am answering private messages, but i don't know if they are going through. i'm still interested in selling the musket.
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Here is a link to a place that specializes in guns of all centuries. They probably will not be interested in buying BUT will know the best place to sell it for you. they sell unaltered military arms mainly.
    Contact then, send pics, and see what they say:
    http://www.ima-usa.com/family-guns-on-nat-geo-tv.html?limit=all
    You might have seen them on the tube on a show called "Family Guns". ran by a father and son with teh father being a Brit.
  13. dusty

dusty New Member

jjmitchell

thank you for the info and link. i will check them out.

and, if ever there was a place i wanted to visit, it would be a place with a name like "Buzzard Roost".
  14. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Believe it or not, it is an actual place here. So is Frogtown, they are about 5 miles apart!!! How places here in KY got their names sometimes make me wonder if the settlers of KY were either just plain bored with life or had one heck of a sense of humor!:)

I forgot to add, if all else fails, contact your local field rep for the NMLRA, you can find him listed on their web site at:
    www.NMLRA.org
    Being they are the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, they can put you in contact with a reputable dealer.
  15. dusty

dusty New Member

jjmitchell

thanks, again, for the new info on contacting a NMRLA field rep. as they say in Frogtown, "I'll hop right to it."