Antique pistol, any ideas about identifying it?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mvaldes, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mvaldes

mvaldes New Member

I bought this pistol recently as a gift for a friend. All the seller knew was that the lot he bought was owned by a civil war period collector. He didn't know anything about the pieces themselves. Mechanically, all seems to work well. The grips are in good shape, there's a little pitting and some discolored spots but overall it seems pretty good. The only marking I can make out with certainty is "EIDER" which I believe would indicate a Spanish origin. Viewing them through a loupe, on the barrel, the words preceding EIDER seem to be "CUNUCELE GUI" but I can't be absolutely certain of that. The hammers are stamped, but I don't have a clue if it's just a design or if it's a maker's mark. I'm attaching some views in the hope that someone may recognize it, or at least it's genre and period. Thanks in advance for help and/or guidance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It was mae in "Eibar" Spain in the early 1900s, probably. The gun uses pinfire ammunition.
  3. mvaldes

mvaldes New Member

Thanks Bill. How do you tell when a gun uses pinfire as opposed to percussion ammunition?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

See the slots in the top of the chambers? The pin/teat (I've seen them called both pinfire and teatfire) sticks out through that slot, and the hammer hits it.

[​IMG]
  5. mvaldes

mvaldes New Member

Thanks Alpo, I wondered if those were to slide in percussion caps, but it makes more sense for them to fit the pins. I didn't realize that each cartridge came with a pin "installed." I assumed incorrectly that it was more like the modern setup but with a different kind of "fixed" pin.
    BTW, this forum is great. If I don't watch out, you guys are going to get me hooked on learning more about these old guns.;)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. mvaldes

mvaldes New Member

I think I understand now that it's a pretty common pin fire pistol of Spanish manufacture. From what I read on Wikipedia, they pretty much stopped making the pinfire weapons around 1890. Does anyone have any educated guess as to when this pistol was manufactured?
  7. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

Pinfire has been patend by Casimer Lefaucheux around 1830 and was used with revolvers until 1870's and for rifles until the beginning of the 1900's.
    Your pistol was probably made arond 1865 / 1870

LF

http://lefaucheux.no-ip.info
  8. mvaldes

mvaldes New Member

Thank you lefaucheux 54, i hoped it was from around then. The friend I bought it for has a lot of civil war era stuff, so this will sorta fit in.
  9. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member