Antique Pistols

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by billy_the_kid, Mar 18, 2011.

1. billy_the_kid

billy_the_kid New Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Can anybody help me ID these pistols? They've been in the family for a long time, but no one seems to know anything about them.

First one has a proof mark "ELG"

I'll take more pictures if needed.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I believe they are what is generally referred to as "muff" pistols. Just a W.A.G. You might search "muff pistol" could be interesting.

3. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Yeah, they're muff pistols. ELG is the black powder proof for Belgium.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Not really muff pistols, but still small Belgium made self defence pistols. Value of these type pistols is low, perhaps 100 per.

5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Single shot, center hammer whether flint or percussion they're still referred to as muff pistols in most places. That bottom one appears to be a pinfire.

6. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes the second picture is a Pinfire pistol

ELG is the proofmark from Li├Ęge , Belgium
    In a ovale without a crown above = before 1893
    With a crown = after 1893

If you've a ELG , you must also find a lettre with a crown or a star
    With a crown = before Jan 1877
    With a star = after Jan 1877

LF