Antique Repeating 22's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Nov 22, 2010.

1. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

From 1912 Schoverling catalog. A one-year offering from Baker Guns & Forging Co. of Batavia, NY.

[​IMG]

Thinking I was bidding on one of those semi-autos, I ended up with a very nice unmarked Febiger pump-only version (below). Even though incorrectly advertised by the auction house, they point out you've signed an agreement to accept whatever they sent you regardless! Luckily it's worth more than I gave for it...

[​IMG]

Anyone got a Batavia they'll trade with me? :rolleyes:

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

that is a right neat looking gun if you ask me
  3. FloridaFialaFan

Like a lot of we humans, it was its LOOKS that got it in trouble. Just compare it to the Savage Model 1903 or 1909. Savage Arms took umbrage enough to threaten a patent infringement lawsuit if they continued sales. :mad:

Baker advertised it in their 1911 No. 4 catalog, and Schoverling had it in their 1912. That was the end of that....

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  4. FloridaFialaFan

I just realized this thread is devoted to REPEATERS, but not just rifles. Handguns are mentioned too.

Well, as most posters at these online gun forums know MY favorite repeater is the FIALA ARMS & EQUIPMENT COMPANY MODEL 1920.

[​IMG]

Unique .22rf magazine-fed single-shot which had to be hand-cycled after each shot! (Anyone know of another such critter?)

No known surviving factory records but from surviving serial numbers reported, it's thought there were approximately 8,000 units (various configurations) produced from 1920 to 1935 bearing three different brand names: Fiala; Schall & Co., and Columbian Arms Corporation. Only 6 of the latter have been observed or reported.

Other brands have been mentioned in OLD writings, but none have been observed, advertised or reported in since the 1950s bearing those names.

The cased sets ($35 back then) gave the owner a 3" bbl for concealed carry; a 7.5" bbl for plinking and target, and a 20" bbl w/wooden forestock and detachable black walnut buttstock for use as a carbine. Optional were also smooth-bore in the two longer barrels. Just gun w/7.5 bbl was $10 in the '20s.

Best regards FFF
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

FFF ^^^ finds all the unusual nifty guns that make everyone drool all over themsellves ;)
  6. FloridaFialaFan

Thanks, Big Shrek. We gotta' get 'em ALL home to Florida.

Want something to drool over? Listen to this...

In the last few days I've obtained: NIB w/warranty Mountain Arms Wildcat 500; H&R Handy-Gun (original, only 323 made) in .22rf, plus another old Fiala to work on. Those are in addition to the Febiger pump!

Went from dried-up, dead market to a flood. ;)

Will be posting those single-shots to appropriate forums.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  7. johnlives4christ

FFF, thanks for the input on this subject. you never hear much about any of the older 22 repeaters. either handguns or rifles.

still seeking info on the use of high speed ammo in old 22's, particular the marlin 97. but i dont really see why any 22 that is was made for smokeless wouldnt handle them.
  8. FloridaFialaFan

johnlives4christ, READ AND HEED!

Below is another .22rf handgun, a "repeater," four-barreled double action: MOSSBERG BROWNIE. Approximately 34,000 made from 1919 to 1932. Remember, this time-frame covered black powder, Lesmok, and smokeless cartridges. This specimen is like new, in an original Mossberg box, with paper insert, accompanied by a box of vintage ammo possibly used in this pistol.

[​IMG]

These little guys were designed for, and made from steel which could accomodate, the moderate pressures of the early propellents. They were NOT really made of anything even close to our modern steels, and ammo which can develop VERY high pressures!

Below is photo of the blown chambers of a Brownie the owner tried some modern ammo in. REMEMBER, it only take ONE round to destroy a valuable historical artifact of Americana, possibly injure yourself AND any nearby innocent observors! It ain't worth it...

[​IMG]

There are many other .22s available for use instead. You don't own these old guns. You are merely the current caretaker of an historical artifact, whose job is to preserve it for future generations.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  9. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

It's the pressures involved, it might not seem like much, but too much can cause severe issues.

Stick with Standard Velocity rounds on any .22's that are pre-1960.
    Simple rule, keeps you & your antique safe :)
  10. johnlives4christ

so can you tell me what year high velocity 22 ammo came out? i've been unable that info.

anyone know of a good book on 22 rf history?
  11. K75RT

K75RT Member

12. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting manual K75RT.Some is over my head but good reading nontheless.Thanks for providing it. Joe
  13. johnlives4christ