AntiqueDR (base your own opinion)

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by warpig, Mar 7, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

cal414
    (6/10/02 9:56:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All AntiqueDR (base your own opinion)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The email below was sent to AntiqueDr on 6 June 02.
    As of today (10 June 02) is has gone unanswered. I don't mean to flame anyone nor imply anything negative. Take it for what its worth. IMO, if an inspection of the revolver was done, this would have made itself apparent. Yes, I'm a bit irritated that this went unaddressed. I've already sent the revolver back to Ruger in hopes that they will repair it under warrenty. If they deceide to charge me $ then I will persue this further. FWIW, it's already cost me $23.00 for S&H to send it back to Ruger.

Text of forementioned Email:

Andrew (AntiqueDr),
    I just picked up the GP-100 that I purchased from you. After bringing it home and inspecting it, it became obvious that the ejector rod has problems. When it is pushed (as in ejecting spent casings) it doesn't go back to its original position. It can be forced back into place with a considerable amount of force. It feels like something is catching it and preventing it from returning. I gave it some oil in hopes it was an easy fix but no cigar. I don't really want to go thru the hassle of shipping it back to you, but I may have to.
    I'll try calling Ruger and see if its covered under warranty repair.
    Also, it looks as if the underside of the back strap was left "in
    the white" as it is still ruff and unpolished. It also has a very
    strange gouge on the underside of the back strap. I'm at a loss as to what may have caused this. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the description. I'll mention this to Ruger when I speak to them.

Sincerely,
    Cal414 (name changed to protect the innocent)

NOTE: "Personal attacks are not permited and will be deleted, state your comments in a civil manner."

*I believe I have stayed within board rules with this post.*

Edited by: cal414 at: 6/10/02 11:10:35 am

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/10/02 11:07:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: AntiqueDR (base your own opinion)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes in my opinion you have stayed within the rules.

I am sure AntiqueDr will be along shortly.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/10/02 11:30:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Actually, the email was answered (twice) but the reply kept bouncing. I do not know why the ejector rod is doing that - the gun was actually on the shelf at the store for some days before it sold and was handled by several customers without problems. I'm not sure where you are describing as the "underside of the backstrap".

My phone number is exceptionally easy to come by. There is even a toll-free number prominently displayed on every page of my website, which is accessible from every one of my auction listings and emails. Had you called when you did not receive a reply to your one email, I would have made arrangements to have the revolver sent back here (on my UPS account) for repair or refund. I do NOT make partial refunds or price adjustments after a sale (been scammed once too often). All of this is also clearly spelled out both at my website (again, accessible from any auction listing including that one) and even from a specific link within each auction listing (including that one).

I sell about a hundred guns each month via the Internet, with less than a 1% return rate. Those few that have been returned were resolved immediately.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

cal414
    (6/10/02 12:20:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AntiqueDR (base your own opinion)
    Actually, the email was answered (twice) but the reply kept bouncing.

Hmmm...thats funny, I cc'd the email to myself (on the 6th) and I got it fine. Regardless, how was I supposed to know you tried to return my email twice?
    Over the past three days I've been using the account as always, getting at least 15 emails a day (frequent poster on other boards.) Maybe it was a short-lived outage on my end. Do you have the bounced email that you sent me (in reply) in your "sent mail" folder or "inbox?" If so, please post it w/header. Don't get me wrong, i'm not making any accusations, just following up.

I do not know why the ejector rod is doing that - the gun was actually on the shelf at the store for some days before it sold and was handled by several customers without problems. I'm not sure where you are describing as the "underside of the back strap".

By "back strap" I mean the area of metal that creates the top of the frame. Directly above the cylinder. (flat area in front of the rear sight.)
    The bottom (underside) of said area has a large gouge in the metal. As if it was hit with a hammer and punch. Quite obvious, even in unfinished/unpolished stainless steel. I'm surprised you didn't mention it. It's very noticable.

My phone number is exceptionally easy to come by.

So it is. It didn't occur to me as all our correspondence was done via email. I apologize.

I sell about a hundred guns each month via the Internet, with less than a 1% return rate. Those few that have been returned were resolved immediately.

I'm sure your a stand up guy. I didn't mean this to be a negative feedback. Tell you what, when I get the revolver back from Ruger I'll snail mail you a copy of what they say.
    If they charge me $ for repairs, we can talk about it.
    I'm already in the hole for $23 S&H but I'll eat that as I should have thought to call you (my fault.)
    Thanks for posting in reply. Please post or email me the bounced email that you sent in response to my email. This will confirm (in my mind) that you weren't just blowing me off.
    Again, thanks for following up and clarifying this.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/10/02 8:05:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Just my 02 but as long as I know Doc he's always had
    an outstanding rep for sales & service, I think one of
    you may have a temporary glitch with your email service,
    I have that happen at least every 6-months, in fact I had
    it happen this past week too and I've had happen during
    auctions to where both me and the buyers thought that
    each of us just weren't replying when in fact it was our
    loust ISP's crapping out or hotmail screwing up, which
    as with most outside email services they shit the bed
    all too often and always at the most convenient times.

Next, Ruger is about the best I know of when it comes
    to customer care/service, you probably will wait 6-weeks
    or so but you won't recognize your firearm when you get
    it back, they will not only fix the problem but they will
    replace every part possible with new ones, and including
    but not limited to the front & rear sights if they aren't
    perfect, all at no cost whatsoever to the owner, no matter
    if the gun is covered or not, and if you want a new factory
    blue while it's there, you can pay then 30-40 bucks and
    they will do that too, the last Ruger I sent to them for
    a customer for repair was rattling like an egg beater and
    all or most of the finish was wore off with areas of rust
    on 40% of the pistol, well I sent it off and it came back
    in a brand new Ruger box and the pistol looked brand new too.

Now I personally am not a Ruger freak, I personally only
    own a 10/22 by Ruger but that's only because I prefer military
    type firearms, but I must say that they are a cut above most
    when it comes to their customer/repair service as you will
    by no doubt see when your firearm is returned.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

cal414
    (6/10/02 8:16:42 pm)
    Thanks for the words of encouragement TAC.

FWIW, the manual that came with the Ruger says:

"work performed will bear a net minimum labor charge of $15.00 plus a $5.00 S&H charge. The charge for metal refinishing is $35.00 plus a $5.00 S&H charge."

Are you saying that they're only kidding? I sure hope so...$23.00 for S&H in addition to FFL transfer fee has made this the most expensive GP-100 in history. We're talking near $400.00 for a used revolver! Man O man, I hope my GF never finds out about this one!

Edited by: cal414 at: 6/17/02 7:15:54 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/10/02 9:24:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Cal,

The last time I sent one out was 2-3 years ago shortly
    before we shut our retail operation down and went specialty/
    wholesale, so I can't say for sure if it's any different, but I
    sure hope it's the same, in my opinion it would be an all around
    pluss and benefit for the firearms industry as a whole if the
    manufacturers would actually back their product fully.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

cal414
    (6/20/02 9:40:28 am)
    I got the Ruger Gp-100 back today (13 days turnaround), pretty damn good customer service. They replaced the ejector rod and refinished the underside of the back strap.
    No charge. This revolver is headed to Walter Birdsong for the Black-T treatment. For an example of the Black-T finish see the S&W 629 "stealth" model on the S&W web page.
    www.smith-wesson.com/sport/m629stea.html
    They do everything in the revolver, including the inside of the chambers. The actual bore is not treated. All springs, pins and internals are done. This makes the gun self-lubricating and virtually rustproof. Price is $155.00, turn around is 6 weeks.

Edited by: cal414 at: 6/20/02 10:41:05 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/20/02 10:21:55 am)
    That's GREAT Cal, I'm glad you are happy with the service.

Be sure to post pics of yours when you get it done!