Anti's love to compare the wild west

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rommelvon, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

to guns today, you here them say..."""lets ban guns and not have a wild west"..well, I say...let them compare
    There is a pervasive misconception about western and mid-western cities of the late 1800's. This misconception is widely held and I would like to dispel this rumor right here.

There certainly was a certain degree of violence among the people living in the West during the later half of the 19th century, but the majority of these were due to clashes with Indian tribes, bandit gangs and foreign nations.

From 1870 to 1885, the rates of violent acts were higher in the major cities of the East than those of the West. Areas of the Mid-West and West were much safer and much more civilized, in general than we are today.

For example, in the populated cities of Virginia City, Nevada, Leadville, Colorado and Dallas, Texas, there were no recorded homicides at all, despite a high rate of gun ownership.

In these same 15 years (1870 to 1885) there were an average of three (3) homicides per year in the major railroad cities of Abilene, Dodge City, Wichita, Caldwell and Ellsworth.

In fact, Dodge City, Kansas, the subject of many movie "Westerns" only exceeded five (5) shooting deaths in a single year (1876).

The misperception that these cities were seedbeds of hundreds of gun fights a month, comes from people watching too many movies and too much television.

The truth of the matter is that there was not very much ordinary street crime in the "Wild, Wild West" because a high portion of the public at large, freely carried firearms. And what sane person is going to rob a country store, when the proprietor is carrying a Colt Single Action Army pistol on his hip?

The truth is told.
    but anti's will not listen to truth, reason,fact, they rely on "what if's" and they speak of guns as if they know about them, hell carolyn McCarthy wanted to ban barrel shrouds and the old bat don't even know what one is....I say to hell with the anti's and their parade of numbnut hollyweird actors, and to hell with the "Blacklisted" companies and persons on the NRA list....we'll take the wild west........Thanks for reading my sunday rant----Rommelvon
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Hay Rom

Keep digging up all this good information, or otherwise known as ammo.

Thanks
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

they need to stop watching hollywood movies and start studying real history.
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

The anti's loathe truth and facts, every piece of statistical ammo I can find, showing that Gun's aren't the problem, I e-mail and snail mail a copy to Bloomberg,Feinstein<boxer, McCarthy and any other anti I can find.....Rommelvon
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Well your doing a good job and thanks