Anxiety About Retirement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tuckerd1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

How many of you that are retired had anxiety attacks as you neared retirement?

I am now. I have 25 days to go and it appears I am stressing out about my pending retirement. I'm not one to stress out over things, but this is bothering me. I am 61 and have been workingsteadly since I was 16. I spent 8 years in the Navy and 3 years in college, but I look at those as the same.

I will be in decent shape money wise so that isn't the issue. I guess it is the single largest life change other than being drafted and/or becoming a father that I have undergone.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Congratulations!!

I retired from the Army in 1996 and plan on retiring from the Post Office next year (388 days, but who's counting). I don't remember having any anxiety about the one from the Army, at all. Just look at it as one chapter in your life ending and another one opening.
  3. SARG

SARG Member

I suspect you won't regret it after awhile.

I guess it's all about the math. After all .... this life is a one way trip.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. tango1niner

tango1niner Member

Congratulations are in order. Don't stress about it. You will be fine. I retired 4 yrs. ago and find I am busier now than when I was working. It is wonderfull. My wife retires in 6 mos., she can't wait. The only advice I can give is: If your home is not paid off you should pay it off as quickly as possible and rid yourself of debt. Do not hold a mortgage for the write off, that is BS.

Congratulations again and good luck!
  5. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Been there, done that. Twice (USMC and Boeing). Currently I'm 13 years into my 3rd career as I like to call it. I won't say I had any 'anxiety' attacks in connection with my retirements; but the prospect of being hanged in the morning, does focus the mind. ;):D
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I had anxiety for one day......
    It too, passed.
    Years of fast-paced, not-enough-time,
    5hrs sleep/night, wife sayin' 'slow down,
    you ain't no spring chicken'........
    Took her advice, and it took a while.....
    Now, I look at all that needs to still be
    done, evaluate it for importance, try to
    get [some] project done or at least worked on
    a little bit.....each day.....no matter the size,
    large or small........
    And now have the option to use the 'Spanish'
    that I have learned thru the years.......
    .........MANANA....!!!! :):)
    [In English, it means 'tomorrow'......
    in Spanish, it means 'not today']

I have 13 Zillion dollars that I got from
    an obama program.....so...no worries, mate. :(
    He fittin' to buy me a new bathroom
    and pump my gas !

I now have the time to spend/share with
    my lovely bride.....and that's worth more than $$$$
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Don, I'm going into my third year of retirement and it's not so bad.

I still work a few days a month to get a break from shooting, camping and fishing.

I'm usually awake before 4 am and in bed asleep by 10 PM.

I like it.
  8. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i have no regrets about retiring.
    i do miss some of the people i worked with, then there is some i dont care if i ever see again
  9. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Retired in '93 and moved from the People's Republic of New York to Alaska. No anxiety attacks whatsoever, but the number of projects I'd been putting off for years has grown - or perhaps I'd just lost track of how many I'd accumulated while planning for retirement. No big deal, I just keep my assigned Honey Do chores and retirement projects in proper synch (about a 10:1 ratio it seems) and life is good.
  10. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Same here. I retired 11 years ago at the old age of 54. The only anxiety I had was waking up every morning knowing I had to go to work. I still don't know how I had the time when I was working to do the things I do now and still work. Best thing that ever happened. Wifey retired 5 years ago, so we have lots of time to do the things we like best, travel, fish, travel, work in the garden, travel, and play with the grandkids. Did I mention travel.:D
    Don't worry, keep busy, and you will wish you could have done it years ago.
  11. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

I too was anxious about retiring in 1997. I asked friends, workers about retirement, however the ultimate decision came down to me. I was in a high stress job and was in charge of 90 appraisers, who all had their own idea how things should be done. I too had worked all my life after college and army. Once I got my pen and pencil set from the powers to be I never looked back. If you are only retiring because you can you need to look at your job. Do you enjoy what you are doing? Do you get along with your coworkers for the most part? Do you enjoy for the most part going to work every day? If you answer all those questions to the affirmative then why are you leaving? If there are things you do and would like to do more of but have been unable to because of your job then that is a good reason to leave if you are financially able to do so. Is there something else you would rather do? Then leave and do it.
    It is a MAJOR life move. Think it out financially. The last thing you want to do is have to look for a part time job, unless you want to.
    Best of wishes.
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will be 63 next month. Home is paid for. My only problem is healthcare. My wife is 10 years younger and my job covers her. She has a heart condition so she can't go without healthcare. May have to work until they kick me out or I drop over dead.
  13. m77user

m77user Active Member

retired. Really Exciting Thing Is Really Everyone's Dream. I am taking a part time job. Retirement is not mandatory. Hope you get over the stress, or uncertainty and get on with enjoying your new found free time. Congrats.
  14. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Take up all the hobbies you never had time for when you were working... Also, if you get too bored you're still allowed to work part time, and there is always volunteer work at hospitals or church.

Due to health problems I've had to go into semi retirement at the age of 50 (now 52), and it was a terrible shock to my way of life. But, part time work and volunteer stuff has helped, not to mention hobbies likes shooting and reloading when my health allows. It seems like there is always something to do. I've been blessed.

Best of luck and good fortune to you... :)
  15. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My worry is that, due to Obamacare, I will be forced to retire before I am ready. I'm 62 and would like to work about 6 more years.