Anxiety About Retirement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tuckerd1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I went at 53 1/2 back in '99 and haven't missed the full time job yet. We have done some workcamping which if you find a good job is fun. I did, a few months back, see a summer job as a range master at a shooting range, that could be fun.

So far, I haven't seen the downside of retirement other than you don't get holidays off, no vacation, no big fat bonus check, etc.

Health care can be a problem but what bozo is promising, you will be ok.
  2. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

congrats. I have 4 years to go and will be out at 53 ( provided I get the 1200 hrs I need for the 4 years.) Have another career lined up part time at local gun shop and some part time at golf course. Can't wait to start over
  3. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

I am happily retired. Would suggest that if your are
    a "people person" that you find an activity that puts
    you around a lot of people. Enjoy being out of the rat race.
  4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Was just chuckling recalling my dad's retirement back in '77, age 61, after logging 30 years with the CAA/FAA. My mom, a stay-at-home housewife for those thirty years, then went out and found herself a part time job because dad was driving her nuts puttering with retirement projects, leaving tools parked in handy locations (like on her sewing table) etc. It took a bit of adjusting, but they both survived his transition to retirement.
  5. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Your biggest worry will be finding enough time to get done what you want to,and wonder how you got anything done while you were working. The best part of retirement is working a job because you don't have too. Get yourself a good quality metal detector and get out and find what you and others have lost for years. It's FUN,addictive,great excercise and it really wakes up your imagination. Have a great one.:confused::eek::D:D:D:rolleyes::D:D:D
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

7. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I was forced to retire at 60 (FAA required it then, now you can fly tip 65) That was back in 97, and I have tried to stay busy. A few of my old pals didn't keep busy and only drew 30 or so retirement checks. So my advice is to keep busy! Do something even if it is volunteer work. Congratulations for making it this far, and enjoy your retirement.
  8. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

It was a big adjustment for me. Took all of five minutes to get adjusted, Biggest problem is that you almost work yourself to death the first few months doing jobs that you have put off. It is hard to realize that you have the rest of your life to do them. After that the manana syndrome kicks in and you start to enjoy life
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

Don't worry about it. If you're financially comfortable, that's 50% of the game. Your health is another 48%, so stay active and stay healthy.

I sold my business when I was 57 and was ready to retire. I haven't looked back a day yet. I'm 66 now. As long as you have some activities to keep you busy and active, you'll be fine. Look for hobbies you enjoy, and if you're married, that your wife will enjoy.

We travel quite a bit, both domestically and overseas. We're lately beginning to think we should probably confine ourselves to this country however. No problem there.

The biggest decision we have to make every morning is, what are we going to do today? We make sure we are up and dressed and out of the house every day, even if it's just to take a drive somewhere and have breakfast or lunch. We don't want to turn into a couple of slobs who sit around all day in our PJs or underwear (apologies to those members who DO sit around in their underwear:eek:).

Above all, HAVE FUN! This should be the most enjoyable time of your life.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Everything I love to do cost money. I could shoot trap every day. I love to go to the pistol range also. If I retire I won't have the money to do what I like. For the most part I like my job anyway so its not a big deal. I have to keep the wife insured anyway so will keep working.

When I go on vacation I get pretty board fast. Run out of things to do. My dad told me he hated retiring. After working for the same company for 40 years he had nothing to do. About 5 of his friends retired at the same time. After one year 4 were dead. They just sat around and took it easy. Killed them. I am worried I would do the same thing.
  11. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

tuckerd, my father inlaw just retiered. And he says he is more bissy now then when he worked.
    I wouldent wory about it to much. You just worked all your life, Time to enjoy your hard earend retierment.
    I would get up the first day of your retierment, take a pick of the sunrize. And go back to bed for a couple more Hrs.
    But thats just me.;)
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all the replies. And all are on the spot of what I plan. I will stay busy. I've seen those that stopped doing anything pass away early.

I have plenty to do around my horse farm and hobbies I enjoy. So I cannot think of why I am feeling the way I am. It is not my personality to worry or stress over things. Never has been.

As I said before, money is not a problem. I'm not rich, but I will be comfortable. Health care is taken care of.

Maybe it is that my wife will still work another year and a half beyond me and I will not be able to keep up with her honey do list! HA! That will be fun! But, I will handle that like I always have. Yall know the drill.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I did not plan on retiring yet, so did not have any stress until the day they threw me out the door and into the street. I spent about six months looking for work and divesting myself of debt. Then went to the SS site and ran some numbers for early SS. "Holy crap!", I said. "Along with our investments, we CAN live on this!"
    I quit looking, and have been enjoying the HECK out of life ever since.

The others here are sure correct, though. I am BUSIER now than when I was working. In fact, I don't see how I ever found the time to spend twelve hours a day at a job!

Solid investments, no debt. Those are the key things.
  14. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Truthfully you will find so many things that need doing or enjoying, that you will wonder how you ever found time to work!