Any boat owners?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rowdyredneck, Nov 18, 2007.

1. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I'm making a deal on my first fishing boat. Its an aluminum 16' Tracker with a 60 horse Mercury outboard. The boat is used but in very good condition with a decent price since its out of season now. It does however need a good cleaning. The hull is stained from dirty river water and algae.
    Does anyone know of a decent cleaning product or home brew that will work good for cleaning the hull without damaging the paint and finish?
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Try Simple Green before you buy any of that expensive boat store hull cleaner.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

boat -noun & verb- defin. A hole in the water, surrounded by wood, fiberglass or aluminum, to where one throws their money :D

Maybe Bon Ami Cleanser. Says it can be used on aluminum cookware. Try a household product first. If it doesn't work, at least your wife can still use it!

Now get out there & clean up that garage, before you bring that boat home. :)
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Will scratch :eek:
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I looked @ the label. It is not like Comet. It's ok for fiberglass tub/shower, cookware. But I'm sure the Simple Green wouldn't scratch !
  6. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

No wife to worry about, which is probably the reason I'm able to buy this thing in the first place. :D My biggest concern is gas prices, how much I'll be able to use it next summer with gas over $3 a gallon already.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  7. durk

durk New Member

If the stains don't come out, might be just as easy to repaint.
  8. Rowdy, there is a product on the marked called "Toon-Brite Pontoon & Aluminum Boat Cleaner" that is supposed to work pretty well. Vinegar also works fairly well.
  9. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

Thanks, I was wondering if vinegar would do it but wasn't sure if it was strong enough. I'll try a few of the suggestions.
  10. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

Well, I made the deal and brought it home this afternoon. Its a '96 Tracker Super Guide V16 with a 60 horse Mercury. It has power trim and tilt, trolling motor, live well, tach and speedo, three seats and a few other extras including a new prop. Other than being a little dirty on the outside its a very clean unit and I got a good price on it on account of being an end of season deal. The sad thing is I just brought it home and winterized it, then put it in the shed. I'll have to wait till next spring to take it out on the water, but at least I'll have all winter to clean it up and add a few more goodies like a stereo system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Now I have drool all over my keyboard. Good thing I wasn't using FirstInLine's computer or you'd be in trouble! :D

Pops
  12. Let the bass and the catfish of the world take heed! Rowdy will be on the warpath come spring! :D;)
  13. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I also have a 17 foot Basstracker with a sixty horse Mercury on it. I am very happy with this old boat and it handles extra fine in rough water. Now when its already cruddy outside I stay home but have been caught in a nasty gale or two with it. The only grip I have is the old two stroke is sometimes really finicky about starting. Mine has the choke where you push the key in, well on mine you need to do this about six or eight times then it will start,normaly that is :eek:. Once it has been ran for a bit it starts right up.:D Hope you have as much fun with your boat as I have with mine.:D catfish
  14. durk

durk New Member

That looks to be the kind of boat I'm looking for, after I sell my current boat.
  15. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Rowdyredneck,

Nice boat. Pistol is right with Toon Bright. I am not sure how it works on painted surfaces. It may be worth a call to the manufacturer. I keep an aluminum boat in brackish water all summer and the bottom turned dark brown from the river and salt and had a couple of dozen barnacles on it too.
    I had to use a scrapper for the barnacles but the Toon Bright took care of the rest with the use of a pressure washer. It looked like a brand new hull after cleaning and this is on a 1974 Sears aluminum 12 footer.

I am sure you will enjoy it come spring.

The reason I call myself Neverhome is because I am on my boat every spare minute I have during the season and thus am "Neverhome".