1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Any Browning Challenger II Owners?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by NevadaBob, May 1, 2011.

1. NevadaBob

NevadaBob New Member

I bought a "new-to-me" 1982 Challenger II and what a delight to shoot! I bought it at a local mom & pop gun store here in Reno for $299. I had been in the market for a lower end priced Ruger-S & W 22a-Neos-Camper but changed direction when I handled this beauty. It is in excellent condition. The rich wood grip really sets it off and the feel/balance in my hand is right on. I picked up a spare mag from www.ammoclip.com and it fits/feeds perfectly. Any owners out there?
  2. bufford

bufford New Member

Hi, just picked up a Challenger II myself, 1981, have not shot it yet, want to tear it down and clean it well first, seems to be in good shape, just a little blueing wear, cycles fine and feeds rounds well, anything I should look for in these?
  3. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

My dad has a Browning Medalist .22, kinda similar to the Challenger II from the pics I looked up. Has a target grip and fore end, which can be taken off to add weights/stabilizers.
  4. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

I have a challenger III .22 since the II was out of production by the time i was old enough to buy one new(1984), I had to wait until my 21st Bithday to grab one. FYI I was told the basic difference seems to be a squared barrel vs a typical round barrel on the challenger II, but I'm sure there are more. I've had it since she was new in 1984 and still have the original box and magazne.
    it shoots flwlessly, and feeds anything that i have ever loaded into her. she still gets approving looks when she visits the range because of her nice smooth grips.

I did break down and purchased a new Buckmark since she is almost 30yrs old. it handles about as well but it's just not the same as the Challenger pistols.
  5. bufford

bufford New Member

Does anyone know if there are any other length barrels available for these, mine is 6 3/4 and was looking for a shorter barrel for it, saw some made for the buckmark series but did not know if they would fit on a Challenger frame.
  6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Bufford,

I have both a buckmark & a Challenger III. I have noticed that several, but not all, parts are interchangeable between these two. I haven't seen many parts listed for the challenger II. However, i found several links and forum requests for what you are asking. here's a few links and they have a 5 1/4" barrel mentioned:

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=2160
    http://wap.armorama.com/modules.php...ile=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=25157&page=1
    and the browning site:
    http://www.browning.com/customerservice/partsandservice/obsolete/index.asp
  7. Leriche

Leriche New Member

I have a challenger III. fun shooting gun=)
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

When the Medalist/Nomad/Challenger I's became to expensive to make as a production gun in Europe (early 70's), the Challenger II was brought to the US, the design modified a bit, and it was made in the USA.
    Probably Utah iirc. The C-II has more components similar to the Med/Nomad/C-I series than the C-III and the Buck Marks. Some of the M/N/C-I parts will swap out with the C-II, which is good, because C-II parts are becoming very hard to find. The barrel is unique only to the C-II, The C-II only came in one barrel length, 6.75 in.s as posted. Mine was manufactured in 1977 (SN 655RR05xxx). I bought it in 2008, I believe. I have no idea how many rounds have gone down the tube on mine, but a couple months ago I found it necessary to replace the slide, disconnector and the sear spring (which had gotten to weak, the sear was not seating except by hand working of the action.). The disconnector I used was a frop in from one for the Medalist. Now it is back to the C-II I love. It is my favorite Browning to shoot, although the Medalist I have is the most outstanding .22 pistol I have, and have ever shot. The Buck Mark is the best lower cost semiautomatic in mho. I have a Ruger standard that is fun to shoot, but I had to do some internal parts and sight swapping to get it to the fun to shoot and accuracy of the BM out of the box. He**, they are all fun to shoot!!

The C-II is just a very underrated pistol, probably because of its short production run and then evolving into the C-III and morphing on into the BM series. Chim, over on Rimfire Central has a great deal of information on all the Brownings, as does Sea Otter and a couple others. Great pistols, rich in history and tradition. You gotta love em. df

As an aside... if you have the money, Fabrique Nationale may still make you a Medalist. The last I heard they were being made in France on a special order only, but even that may no longer be true. Medalists, Nomads and C- I's still are available on the auction sites with good deals occasionally appearing. So are the older High Standards. And both have their roots in the Colt Woodsman of may years ago.