Any C&R Experience in Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by sck, Feb 4, 2005.

1. sck

sck Member

Dear Folks:
    I've thought about getting a C&R license for several years, but there are a few issues that I just can't seem to get past. My major concern is about the local CLEO. He has been in office for years, is a strong law and order type, but he simply doesn't approve of individuals owning firearms and has said so on several occasions. I realize that if I apply for a C&R license, I have to send him a copy and that he really isn't involved. Sending a copy of the application is simply a requirement as a way to inform him of something that is happening in his jurisdiction. My concern is that when this guy sees my application he just my TRY to do something!!!! If I knew that he had seen applications in the recent past and had not done anything, it would reassure me greatly. So, I was hoping that somebody out there has a C&R in Cincinnati or knows of someone who does. Thanks for the help. Steve K.
  2. offeror

offeror New Member

Can't help you directly, but for the little money involved I'd go ahead. I don't know what he COULD do once the ATF was satisfied. And even if he did make trouble it might be educational for somebody ... ;)
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

He really can't do much. As long as he can't prove that you're legally prevented from owning firearms, he can't stop you from getting your license.

Do you think he's going to hassle you or something? Like maybe he would tell his officers to "check you out" or give you a rough time if they pull you over? I would think he has better things to do with his time than hassle law-abiding citizens who collect historical firearms.

What I did, even though it wasn't necessary, was just write a polite note to the CLEO with the copy of the application. You could tell him that you're a collector who simply wants to enhance your collection of historically significant firearms. In most cases, I recommend NOT saying very much to the CLEO, because frankly it's none of his business why you want your license. But if you have a genuine concern about it, it might be a good idea to let him know who you are and that you're no threat.
  4. sck

sck Member

Dear Folks:
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'm really not concerned that this fellow or his deputies will hassle me or anything like that. This fellow is an ex marine officer and an ex judge in the county, and generally holds the view that he is always right and anyone else who might have a different view or interpretation of the law is simply stupid and wrong. You’re absolutely right in saying that it might be an education for someone—him. It wouldn’t surprise me that even though he is CLEO he has no idea that such a thing as a C&R license exists. I can just imagine him receiving a copy of my form and a pleasant letter explaining the situtation and him hitting the roof, calling a hugh press conference and announcing how such a thing is a menace to public safety and beginning some sort of national campaign to abolish C&R licenses. I know it sounds paranoid, but I’d hate to be responsible for setting this guy off on some sort of anti-C&R campaign!!! You’re also right in that he should have better things to do, but as it is he has time to assign officers to such high priority tasks as having officers pose as underage girls in chat rooms to lure people into the county from all over the place just so he can make a big splash on the news for arresting perverts. He has also been known to do lots of other, crazier things. For example, he had one of his deputies return an AR15 that had been stolen. The person lived within the city limits of the Cincinnati, as I do, which means that all “assault weapons” must be registered with the city, and this one had been properly registered which is why the deputy returned it. However, when the deputy was returning it to the legal owner, he noticed that the owner had several 20 round magazines, none of which were registered in the city. You guessed it. High capacity magazines, even 15 round tube mags. on .22 rifles according to some interpretations, within the city limits of Cincinnati must be registered! The deputy arrested the owner of the AR15 for owning unregistered mags. Several trials and thousands of dollars and some jail time later, the fellow is now a felon. This CLEO even had a local businessman who happened to be a siek repeatedly arrested and tried for carrying the ceremonial knife which their religious beliefs require male sieks carry. This one went all the way to federal court. In this case the guy was acquitted, but it cost him tens of thousands of dollars. Hopefully these sort of incidents help explain my concern about the local CLEO.

Well, enough of that, now on to another question. I admit that I haven’t read the rules and regulations for a C&R lately, but I promise to do so. Until then, my only other major question concerns the firearms that I already own. If I get a C&R license, do they go into the A&D log, or is it only for things I acquire after I get the license?

Thanks again for all your help. Sincerely -- Steve
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

A&D Log? Bound Book is correct.
    Only entries are what you aquire and dispose of after the date of issue of the license and while the license is valid
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

sck:

While keeping a low profile is a way to going through life, it is not necessarily the best way. You have the right to have a C&R! Any right is worth defending or you eventually will loose it.

Stand up, get your C&R if that is what you want, and deal with this tyrant if you have to. But make sure you are in complete compliance with every aspect of the gun laws of you locale. I believe C&R's allow the FED BATF access to your home for inspections. If in their inspection they find a problem (like the 20 round mags of the case you cited) you'll get tagged and your local politician may jump in. Be completely legal and you will prevail. If the politician tries anything go to the Media but be sure you are absolutely legal. Show him to be a tyrant who is attempting to operate outside of his authority. This may get him a black eye and loose him the next election or appointment, however he got his job.

I'd be willing to bet nothing will happen. You may have C&R guys all around you and he will not take notice of your application. But you have the right to the C&R and you must defent that right.

For a moment imagine the airplanes transporting the 9/11 suicide people who planned and executed the World Trade Center and Pentagon demise. Then imagine the one that was suppose to get the White House. What was the difference? The passengers on the latter plane took control of the situation and stopped it from happening while the former planes occupants layed low thinking the nasty situation would go away and all would be OK. Those that didn't lay low prevented our White House from being destroyed at the cost of their own lives. Sometimes we have to stand up and do what is right reguardless of the consequences. I greatly respect the latter planes passengers for what they did for America! And I am so sorry for the other passengers in the other planes who fell to the "don't fight back" thinking that has permeated our society of late.

LDBennett