1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Any cheese lovers out there? Chunk cheese, cooking or on a dish what do you like?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mjp28, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Any cheese lovers out there? Chunk cheese, cooking or on a dish what do you like?

I just recently finished cutting up chunks of Wisconsin Brick and a Pepper Jack to eat alone or with Hard Salami just for snacks.

I LOVE CHEESE! Blocks, cooking or over pasta you name it!
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Don't get me started.

There is no 'program' for my affliction. :( :D

American cheese (with a few exceptions) is decades behind that of the Eruopeans.

I'm a cheeseaholic and I admit it. :p
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did someone mention food? I also love cheese. Fresh squeeky cheese, sharp cheddar, pepper cheese, havarti on a sandwich, permessian, you name it. Just not stinky cheese though. That probably smells like geds feet or something. When I order pizza, I always get extra cheese on it. Mmm, mmm, good. I like a well aged salami with peppered jack. Thanks mjp, now I am hungry.
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey no problem! ;)

Now on pasta with tomato sause I like Parmesan but really like Romano even better....got that from my dad. We sometimes use the three cheese mix, parmesan, romano and asiago, my wife's favorite.

And as far as a block of cheese and a sharp knife I'm good with a whole lot of cheeses, either mild or sharp colby, same with cheddar, Monterray Jack, pepper jack, colby jack, swiss and one of my old favorites a good hunk of Wisconsin brick.....ummmm, some crackers, salami maybe some olives on the side, oh yeah.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I too prefer Romano over permessian.
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Any good recipes for cheese soups? I have a few I'll dig up.

Our problem isn't having recipes it's finding the old ones! Plus we have tons of books and friends keep giving us more when they come over for dinner.
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Don't know how well I qualify - lunch was toasted rye bread sandwich with shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperjack cheese, Italian dry salami and Genoa salami.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that'll work.
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

CHEESE WITH VEGGIE SOUP

Total Time: 1 hr 5 min. Prep about 20 min. Cook time about 45 min.
    Serves about 4

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    5 ounces small diced onion (approximately 1 cup)
    5 ounces small diced carrot (approximately 1 cup)
    5 ounces small diced celery (approximately 1 cup)......if you like celery, I also like broccoli
    1/2 teaspoon salt for sweating vegetables, plus more if needed at end of cooking
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 quart chicken broth, heated to a simmer
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup heavy cream
    10 ounces Fontina, shredded.....optional cheeses, cheddar, sharp cheddar or your favorite might work
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon Marsala wine.....or a good red wine, sweet or dry is up to you
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce.....optional
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Directions
    Melt butter in large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Sweat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Sift the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.

Gradually add the chicken stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add the garlic and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

Remove bay leaf. Turn off the heat, add the heavy cream, and then puree with an immersion blender or in a conventional blender*. Gradually add the cheese, 1 small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Stir in the Marsala, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and white pepper. Taste and add additional salt if desired. If soup is not hot enough, return to a low heat until warmed through.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

The above cheese and veggie soup recipe is a variation of Alton Brown's who has the show GOOD EATS, he's both good and entertaining, love his stuff....but I generally put my own touches on whatever I do.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/index.html

I will also dig up a few of my own family cheese recipes....later.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i also love cheese, any kind but partial to a good sharp cheese
  12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is my favorite time of year. Fresh tomato sliced thick covered with a slab of Mozzarella and a leaf of Basil. Drizzle balsamic over it. Outstanding on hot days, or for me any day. Caprese Salad.

Other than that I will eat or try any cheese made.
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh you mean Insalata Caprese Salad or the Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil Plate, one of my wife's favorites! She loves balsamic, I'll also go with Italian there.

Capers definately optional but some put tuna, sardines and others to spice it up.

My wife knows all this stuff...plus she's a great cook and speller!
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oooooohhh, wife stopped at the store on the way home from work.

I'm munching on COJACK cheese with Savoritz baked pita crackers and sea salt and Clancy's baked pita chips Parmesan garlic & herb.

She's always looking for deals that taste great and a bit healthier choice if possible. These baked chips are good!

Oh yeah! :)
  15. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A nice sharp cheddar slice with a cup of black coffee. Take a bite of cheese and a sip of coffee, chew it up and....Yummmm