Any clue what I have here?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jdavis, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jdavis

jdavis New Member

How do up load photos?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What you tried woulda worked if the picture you were trying to post was on a webpage somewhere. Since it starts with C: instead of http:, I'm thinking you tried to upload it from your computer.

Try again. Don't do "quick reply", use "Go advanced". At the top of the message box is a smiley face. Next to that is a paper clip. Click on the paper clip, which will open a box allowing you to browse your computer and upload a pic.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. jdavis

jdavis New Member

I keep getting an error message.
  4. jdavis

jdavis New Member

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Huh. Well, the other way to load 'em is to open an account with someplace like Photobucket. Then you upload the pix to photobucket, and then direct link 'em to here.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Are you using Firefox?

Don't use Internet Exploder from Microshaft. It's buggy and not secure.
  7. jdavis

jdavis New Member

Tried both search engines.
  8. jdavis

jdavis New Member

9. jdavis

jdavis New Member

10. jdavis

jdavis New Member

11. jdavis

jdavis New Member

Number on it is 17136.
  12. Goody

Goody Member

38 smith and wesson new departure, 2nd model, AKA "Lemon Squeezer".
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You have a Smith and Wesson New Departure. Smith also called it a Safety Hammerless. Everybody else in the world calls it a Lemon Squeezer. It appears, from the picture, to be a 32.

If it's a 38, it's a 2nd Model, made between 1888 and 1890. If it's a 32, it's a 1st Model, made between 1888 and 1902. They made 91000 First Models, so with a 17000 serial number, it should be close to 1889 also.

While both 38 S&W and 32 S&W ammo is still being made, it would be unwise to fire any modern, smokeless powder, ammo in this old gun. It was made fifteen years before Smith said their guns were safe with smokeless. Be a shame to tear it up.

Appears in pretty good shape. I'd say 75%, or maybe a little more. If you wanted to sell it, you could probably get 2 to 3 hundred from a cowboy shooter. They'd load it with black powder and blast away.

If you wish to shoot it, black powder ammo is out there, you just have to look real hard for it. If you know anybody that reloads, it's really easy to load.
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is a .38, which you can tell from the position of the flute. On a 6-shot .32, the side flute will be straight to the side (90 degrees from the frame); on a 5-shot .38, it will be below the center.

Jim
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Sorry Jim. The top-break 32 Smiths are five-shooters also.
  16. jdavis

jdavis New Member

Thanks all!
  17. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Alpo,

Ooops! Senior moment got me on that one! You are right, of course.

Jim
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've noticed that, the seniorer I get, the more senior moments I tend to have.
  19. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Without something to reference size by it can be hard to tell a 32 and 38 apart. However, I'm pretty sure the gun in question is a .38.
    On a .32 the flutes look stubbier and the space above the trigger (between the top of the trigger shoe and the bottom of the frame is more pronounced.
  20. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. This is a 32, and the flutes look either shorter or wider (or both), and there is much more space above the trigger.

[​IMG]