1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Any cops here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WarSteed, Jun 25, 2007.

1. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Last week i decided i'm tired of working behind a desk all day and applied for several law enforcement agencies in Washington.

Of course me being the hot headed, cocky cowboy i have scheduled the written exam and PT test for this weds which only gives me a week to get my 240lb butt in shape to pass it (Not to mention being 6 weeks post knee surgery). My only saving grace is that i lift weights alot so most of me is meat (still doesn't work for running though) and that the PT test is minimum entry standards so i'm still able to get 100% on everything despite me not running in years.

My question for you guys though is: What tips would do you have for the oral boards?
    I figure i've gotten the written and physical part good, but those oral boards seem a bit more subjective.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, judging by your handle, just don't tell 'em "I'll shoot all the bad guys and let God sort them out!" ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Treat your orals just as you would treat any citizen you might have contact with as an LEO. Be honest, non-agressive and courteous. If you don't know an answer, say, "I don't know."

Pops
  4. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Hehe WarSteed was the name of a big military exercise in Korea i took part of. I was a combatmedic so i would say my compassionate side outweighs my aggressive side...a little... slightly... kinda. ;)
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Always good to have a medic with us! Welcome aboard.

IPT
  6. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Thanks, actually been lurking for awhile, mostly to find out info on my sks. It's a nice place here~
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I believe my cousin said they only had to run a mile at a time??? Someone correct me of course, but I believe that to be correct.

That sure is a recent surgery though...Good luck.

Crpdeth
  8. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

They are going to ask you why you want to go into law enforcement; that's pretty standard. They also may ask how you would arrest a beligerent drunk bigger than you without help. That's a favorite, so have a ready answer. Good luck! :D

LL
  9. Texman

Texman New Member

You might keep in mind that some places do internet searches for websites you host, groups you belong to, etc etc... They have gotten real good at rooting out people. Some news story not too long ago said that companies were just flat rejecting applicants based on what they found on the internet about them.
  10. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

LeadLobber: Taser, pepper spray, baton ie less than lethal. If he has a weapon, then he's getting shot. I get paid to win fights, not fight fairly.

Texman: Thank you i keep that in mind... so basically i should stop coming onto this site with all it's conspiracy theorists. ;) haha.

It's a mile and a half run now, i already ace it despite the knee surgery. But this is keeping in mind that these are the minimum standards to get on the force
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I love to run (when I'm not putting in 65 hrs a week during my busy season) but 3 1/2 miles is tops for me...If you ace 1 1/2 just six months out of knee surgery, I think you got Physical Testing whooped.

One thing they asked my cousin, which most people failed, was "Why do you want to be a Police in this city?" The response should be "To protect and to serve".

Crpdeth
  12. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police ALWAYS ask about drug history. A friend's sister was refused entry because she was at a party where people were smoking marijuana outside and she didn't leave the party. "It showed poor character and a tolerance for people who abuse illicit drugs," even though she explained that she was visiting friends in a different province and had no practical way of leaving, i.e. no cabs in the rural area (it was at a cottage), everyone at the party being over the legal blood alcohol limit to drive and having nowhere to go anyway with nowhere else to stay and no money for a hotel room.

Not all interviewing officers will be so strict and as you say, the oral boards are very subjective, but again, MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEAN.
  13. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

be honest, look them square in the eye, they will ask you about any previous traffic violations, be up front and honest about that. tell them everything about that, even the little rinkey dink parking tickets. Most police officers dont ask questions they dont already have a good reasonable Idea what the answer is. they are possibly gonna ask about drinking habits, domestic situation, married or not, if you are, they are gonna ask about your relationship with your wife. They'll dig deep into areas you wont expect them to. Above all BE HONEST nothing will get you cut from the process, or if you actually make it onto the force, than a lack of integrity. They figure if you'll lie about the little stuff, it'll be easier to lie about the big stuff
  14. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Just tell them
    " I IS HERE TO SHOOT BAD PEOPLE"
    if they hire you then you have it made
    I only got suspended for bad behavior once
    when the shooting review board ask
    "Why did you shoot the suspect 7 times with a 45 auto"
    I replied with a serious face " because that was all the clip held"
    I was cleared of the shooting but got 7 days for being a smart a$$
  15. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Honesty works best. If you have skeletons in your closet they will be looking at a copy of them as they talk to you. Remain calm but don't monotone when you speak. Don't overthink questions which are basic instinct. If you were asked about armed assailants the answer is best when it includes "to prevent loss of human life or cassualty". They won't too much if you proceed with an ammount of military bearing, yes sir and no sir are very helpful to your position.