Any flintlock experts out there?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Buffalochip, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Attached is a photo of what I'm guessing to be an 18th century flintlock lighter. "Tinder pistols" were made by gunsmiths prior to the invention of the match in 1826, so I know it is likely prior to that. I'm hoping someone can narrow down its age and likely place of manufacture. There are NO marks on it. John Dillins' "The Kentucky Rifle" pictures one that is identical to this one, but gives no date. Any info would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well I am sitting here in the UK and too my right is a flint lighter.

I have to say I have never seen one like yours with that long hammer. I couldnt date or place it. The ones I have seen have mostly box locks. Not much help, sorry. At least you know its unusual.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Thank you. I believe this style hammer is called a "gooseneck," which I think predates the boxlock style you referred to. Dixiegunworks.com lists a tinderpistol of the boxlock variety, which I believe is of English design.
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The external lock suggests it is Spanish in origin. The stock is most likely a replacement.

Cool item!
  5. Win_88

Win_88 New Member

Remove the grips and look for markings...

If none its more likely spanish made..

But more pics please