any good books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i am in the midst of reading "the help" excellent book written very well.Its in the 60's about black maids and their boss, basically what they went thru and how they feel about being maids, blacks and whites and the controversy very enjoyable and it opens yours eyes.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I have always like anything by James Herriot; I haven't read an actual "book" in several years though. Quite a few reloading manuals and firearms related books though;)
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I was always a big pat Conroy fan, but I don't get to read many books these days.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

winter coming books to read
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I just recently discovered P. G. Wodehouse. I'd known of him for forty years or more. Seen his books in the library. Never read him. He is FUNNY.

He, by the way, invented the perfect butler - Jeeves. Jeeves is always right, knows everything, and is invariably polite and correct while preventing his master (Bertie) from making too many screwups.

Luckily, if you are cheap, like I am, they have a couple dozen of his books on Project Gutenberg. This was the first one I read, http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2233 and then went and downloaded everything they had.
  6. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Marley and Me

The Gone Series - author Grant (3 books)

Now and Then
  7. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Two non fictions I'm reading now:The Thief at the End of the World by Joe Jackson(beginnings of the rubber baron culture in South America);Travels of William Bartram(travels thru southern North America in the late 1700's).
    Two fiction:The House of Sleeping Beauties,Yasunari Kawabata; The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye,A.S. Byatt.
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Atlas Shrugged.
  9. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i'm currently reading the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. i've been watching the movies for years, then i discovered that my local library has the books, and i've been trying to read them in order. great historical fiction, Bernard Cornwell is a very talented writer.
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

Recently finished They Have Their Exits by Airey Neave, about his escape from Colditz in WWII. Now in the thick of Saturday at M.I.9, about his work in England following his escape.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My wife bought the "Left Behind" series. It is fiction, but I never liked Tim LaHaye. He just doesn't see things the way I do, or I don't see them the way he does. Anyway, they are good reading for FICTION.
  12. Juker

Juker New Member

I was truly enamored of the series when it started, and thought the first two made some fascinating points. It was, as I recall, originally supposed to be seven books. By the fifth or sixth it became obvious they were milking the series and some of the books had so much fluff and filler that I completely lost interest. When I heard it was to be 12 books, we donated the ones we had to Goodwill. I never finished them, as I know how the story ends. :)

And 'Tribulation Force'? Really? I suppose 'Power Rangers' was already taken.
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Juker,

You owe me one screen cleaning for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read the first couple and lost interest because I've read the end too.

I'm re-reading A Time to Kill by Grisham. His best work IMHO. I'm also reading Sacred Fire about George Washington, The Myth of Separation by David Barton and I just finished Death in the Long Grass, Death in the Dark Continent, Death in the Silent Places by Peter Hathaway Capstick, PH, The Man Eaters of Tsavo by Lt Col JH Patterson, Three Years Among the Comanches by Texas Ranger Nelson Lee and re-read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell in the last couple of months.

Plus at least one Louis L'amour book a week.

For anyone with an interest in stories about hunting in Africa, Capstick's books are very worthy reading.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

So, whatchu t'ink about Three Years Among the Comanches? I got it 'cause it was mentioned in Bendigo Shafter - "Nels Lee? When did he learn how to write?". Haven't read it yet. Sittin' on the shelf, waitin' its turn.
  16. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The unedited version of Stephen King's "The Stand". Lengthy, but a classic.
  17. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I have only read it once, but I really enjoyed it. It gave very good insight into the lifestyle of the Comanches. Worth reading and recommending to folks that like history.

I remember reading in "The Searchers" (I think) a very detailed description of the Comanche style of attack where they circled in front of their target and got closer and closer until they could leap from their horses into the middle of the pioneers/tribes they were attacking. Laying down on their horse, shooting their arrows under the pony's head as fast as a lever action rifle and that otherwordly screaming meant to disorient their prey. I can only say........."Would you hand me my brown saddle pants, please." :eek: :D
  18. Juker

Juker New Member

Oooh, good one. One of the few works of fiction I still own.

Survivors trekking across the country, shopping for a vehicle. "Hey, let's take this big freakin' diesel tow truck, might come in handy if we have to clear a roadblock." Brilliant. I still remember that. :)