Any guesses as to how old?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by etcher1, May 30, 2012.

1. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

While digging through my stuff to get set up reloading again, I found this.

[​IMG]

The one on the left is about 27 years old. The one on the right is new. I did load up 18 rounds of 44 mag with the old stuff. It all went off like it was brand new. Starting to get back into the groove of reloading. :D
    Anybody else have stuff this old or older?
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Alliant still has some Unique from the first production lot, over 100 years ago, that is stored under water. Periodicity they have dried a sample and tested it. About 4 years ago, I was advised that it is still within chemical specification.

As long as "Unique" propellant is stored in a cool place and shows no obvious signs of deterioration, it should be safe and good to load.
  3. zant

zant Active Member

A friend of mines grandfather bought 3-100lb kegs of the orig H4831...and I have about 5lbs left I've been using in a 300H&H Imp for years....
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I used to buy Alliant powders in those paper/foil cans in the early 90s and I think I've seen em on the shelf just a few years ago too. It's not a real old one since it has the pop-up plastic spout. The old ones had a metal screw-top lid
    Not sure when they made the switch to the plastic cans but it's fairly recently.
    What is the price on it?

Lemme go dig around on the back shelf...
    The 4198 isn't all that old. Got 4 or 5 of em from an auction sale a couple years back. Can't read the price tag on it, but I think it says $5.xx. The lot # is from Jun of '74.
    The P Pyrodex came from the same auction sale as the 4198. The powder still looks okay, but I'm not a Pyrodex shooter so it's still sitting unused in my locker.
    I've had that Bullseye can since I was in high school back in the late 80s...and it was old then. No pricetag or lot number on it anymore that I can read. It's got a 5-digit ZIP code on the address though so it isn't that old either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

My 1# can was $12.55.
  6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have several old metal cans as well. The only one I have a recent picture of is this one. The price says $12.75 and that current powder is over $20 now. Again, I am not sure when they switched to plastic. I have old style bullets that are no longer made too.

Attached Files:

7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

when i get home i'll take a pic of an old imr 4064 can i had.. metal lid, paper label on the rectangular can..
  8. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I have a old Bullseye can like the one above. I just looked no price or date on it. I have used powder over 20 years old.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know when Dupont switched to plastic, but I've got three cans of 3031 I bought from Graf and Sons, in 06. Red metal cans.

As for Bindernut's can of Bullseye - I've never seen Hercules powder in a metal can. The first stuff I bought, when I began loading in '77, was Unique in a paper can with the pull-up plastic spout. Winchester used to come in a metal can, but I've never seen Hercules in one, before.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I bought a can of Unique in a can just like that but it had a metal screw cap back in 76 or 77. I used about a third of it and threw the rest away. Haven't bought any Unique since.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

here's that dupont 4064 can pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I have a box of peterson .22's
  13. bobski

bobski Former Guest

ahhh 4064. the military rifle leg match powder of choice for 7.62 nato. ahhhh......
  14. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes, plenty of older cans of powder. Some from the '50s ,'60s, & '70s.