1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Any Idea ... ???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SixTGunr, Jul 20, 2006.

1. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Was in my local gun shop yesterday and a young fella waltzed in toting a "very old" looking bolt action with a Mauser action ...

Claimed it was brought back from the Big War by his grandpa and he was trying to figure out what it was ...

At first glance my friend and I thought it may be a 6.5 X 55 but the round would not go down into the magazine area which looked like it would hold about 5 rounds (top load).

On the left side of the receiver it was marked "Breda 1927" ....

On the top of the barrel near the receiver was a rectangular shape with an outlined cross within the rectangle which made me think something along the lines of a Swedish symbol ... Of course this may have been a rearsenal marking but not sure ...

Other than that it simply had various serail numbers on the receiver and bolt ...

We never could figure out what caliber it was ...

Wish I had some pics but I did not have my camera with me at the time ...

Anyone got any ideas or opinions ...

TIA

Six
  2. John P.

John P. New Member

All I can contribute is that Breda is a city in the south of Holland. This might be a clue to the country of origin.
  3. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Thanks John P ...

I did manage to come across some additional info which was in relation to this weapon ... It did have the 1903/14 just below the rectangle with the cross I mentioned above.

This was all I managed to get so far but it still does not tell me what the caliber is ...

Six
  4. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Managed to do a bit more research and found this to be a 6.5 X 54 rimless caliber .....

Anyone ever seen or heard of this round before .... ?????

Mannlicher Schoenauer ....

Thanks guys

Six
  5. Goody

Goody Member

6. Ross95966

Ross95966 New Member

A more likely guess would be the 6.5 Dutch.
    The Mannlicher-Schöenauer has a spool magazine, the Dutch Mannlicher does not have this Schöenauer magazine, but rather an en-bloc clip that drops out the bottom as the last round is chambered.
    Unlike the Mausers, these rifles and carbines have a split rear receiver bridge and a forward positioned bolt handle.
    The gun has a common gene with the Italian, Greek and other Mannlichers.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  7. momo

momo Former Guest

What you have is a 1903/14 Mannlicher Schoenauer made for the Greek army. The cross represents the greek flag, Breda is Breda, Italy where these weapons were made under license from Mannlicher.