Any info on Stoeger Cougars

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rentalguy1, Nov 18, 2010.

1. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I had to give up carrying the 1911 and PT92 earlier this year because of my back. I swiped the wife's PT709 Slim over the summer, but have switched out the the XD40 since the weather turned colder. Something about it just doesn't feel right. I love the gun, and shoot well with it. It just feels weird. I think it is because I prefer to carry OWB in a Fobus paddle holster, and it rides really high. Anyway, I noticed the Stoeger Cougar review in last month's G&A and it's a sweet looking gun. I'm a big fan of the M9 platform anyway, so it seems like a good fit. I've read several reviews online, and they were all pretty good. I want some first hand knowledge from someone that isn't being paid to write a article, though. I know if I go fondle one I'll probably end up buying it on impulse, so I get all the info I can up front.

Thanks!
  2. triplebike

triplebike New Member

rentalguy1, I have owned the Stoeger 8000 & currently own the 8045.

1st off it's a Beretta with Stoeger stamped on the side, they're made on Beretta machinery in Turkey.

I ran over 2500 rds through my 8000 of all different variations without a single failure of any kind. It had no noticeable wear anywhere on the gun. They are very accurate, easy to maintain & one of the softest shooting 9MM's available.

They are shipped with Beretta mags, & factory replacements are $20 everywhere.

Probably one of the very best handgun values available today. When they were made in Italy, they sold for little less than $700. Now you can get them NIB (same exact gun) for little less than $400.
  3. theammobroker

theammobroker New Member

The 8045 is next on my list. I have heard only good things about this entire series of guns. I have some experience with Stoeger customer service (on a shotgun) and found them to be very responsive.
  4. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Thanks guys. I just realized that Taurus makes a pistol on this platform as well. The PT909, et. al.. Since I am a Taurus guy, I should probably look into them as well, even though they are actually a little more expensive.
  5. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Luv my Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm you can't go wrong with a Cougar.