any info on this gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vppokerplayer, Dec 9, 2009.

1. vppokerplayer

vppokerplayer New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this gun? The markings are well worn, on the barrel it say's COLT DA either 32 or 38 can't really tell. serial # 25372.

Would like to know:

Is it .32 or .38
    What kind of bullets would it take
    Any idea of value

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. williamd

williamd New Member

mic the bbl.

Call colt, with s/n they can tell you about it.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. Marko76

Marko76 New Member

Police Positive?
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun looks odd to me. It is not an 1889 Navy nor is it any of the 1892-1905 service revolvers or their civilian versions. I think it is a .32 Colt New Police, but the barrel marking is wrong.

I think it began as a .32 Colt NP, then someone put on a .38 Army/Navy barrel, cutting it down in the process (note the marking is further back than it should be) and obscuring the caliber in the process. I suspect that the cylinder was reamed for .38 or the barrel was sleeved, more likely the former. The result would have been a small, light revolver in .38 caliber.

Note that I am doing more than a little guessing here. But that gun has a lot of contradictions I can't explain any other way.

Jim
  6. Marko76

Marko76 New Member

That maybe, but to tell you the truth, now that I look at it again the stamp on the bbl should be further out. Not quit half way but close...
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The barrel is definitely a replacement; it is a .38 service model barrel. The question is what the gun is. Maybe it is the picture angle, but the frame looks too small to be a .38 (.41 frame); it looks more like a .32. I just don't know if the .38 barrel could be turned down enough to fit the small frame or if the .32 cylinder could be bored for .38.

Maybe vbpokerplayer could measure the barrel bore and also the cylinder chambers and the cylinder diameter as well.

Jim