Any "Mature" Marines Around, Please?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by GConn, Mar 16, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

Hello.

Wasn't sure where to post this, how to "Title" (Subject) it, or much of anything else right off the top of my noggin, but I "think" it may be of interest - to some.

"Found" today, here on the farm, is what "appears" (to me) to be some "old" targets, marked/labeled: "50 FT. SLOW FIRE PISTOL TARGET".

These targets have "USMC" bold print on both top corners, and (this is the most interesting part to me) on the bottom right, they are printed with:
    "U.S.Government Printing Office: 1957 0 - 425648".

It seems that (again, just to me) these are from 1957?
    Anyone know for sure, please?

*EDIT* And oh...I cannot seem to get this DAMN cam to focus on the small "GPO" print.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Uh oh, problems with electronics........ a sure sign of "maturity" :p:D:D

The 1957 0 - 425648 refers to the gov't form number, so they may have been printed later than '57 and still had the same number. They update the form numbers if they make a revision, much like pistols and everything else with the govt numbering system.

I was in from 91 - 98 and they still were using some old targets then. They must have had a ton of surplus. I don't recall the exact date on them, but my roommate was a range officer and we'd get to go "afterhours" and practice. I know that we would comment often about the age of some of the equipment, ammo, etc that we were using; often older ( or I mean mature" )that we were. ;)
  3. GConn

GConn Member

Ha, yeeeaaah, yep and yup...struggling with the newfangled tech these whippa-snappa's put-out here...

Anyway, thank you much for the info...it's helpful and very interesting.

Other than my "World-Record short" stint in the Army, the only "military-connection" to this farm that I am aware of (though I'll certainly ask now) is/was my step-dad's brother (whats that, a "step-uncle"??) ... in any event, he served in Korea, but then, to the best of my knowledge, left after the war or when his enlistment was up, and of course that would have been, what, `53/`54? Not to mention, I am pretty darn sure he was Arny also.

Oh well...thanks again, and I'll see what I can find-out. I'm guessing with the government, it will either be TOO (dangerously) easy, or simply "impossible" - there be not much middle ground to be concerned about in what occurs to me as a; 'one-extreme-or-the-other' system' haha...

Thanks again!
  4. GConn

GConn Member

Ha, yeeeaaah, yup, and yeppers...struggling with the newfangled tech these YOUNG whippa-snappa's are puttin'-out here...

Anyway, thank you much for the info...it's helpful and interesting.

Other than my "World-Record short" stint in the Army, the only "military-connection" to this farm that I am aware of (though I'll certainly ask now) is/was my step-dad's brother (whats that, a "step-uncle"??) ... in any event, he served in Korea, but then, to the best of my knowledge, left after the war or when his enlistment was up, and of course that would have been, what, `53/`54? Not to mention, I am pretty darn sure he was Arny also.

Oh well...thanks again, and I'll see what I can find-out. I'm guessing with the government, it will either be TOO (dangerously) easy, or simply "impossible" - there be not much middle ground to be concerned about in what occurs to me as a; 'one-extreme-or-the-other' system' haha...

Thanks again!
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I seem to recall that some military marked targets were sold through the old DCM years ago, so you may have found some of those.

They are just the standard 50 fit slow fire pistol target, same as you can get from the NRA as far as dimensions go.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Mature Marines???, now don't be mean, we Army guys know they all smell that way, so be nice:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  7. tech16024

tech16024 New Member

Ain't
    Ready for the
    Marines
    Yet !!!
  8. woolleyworm

+1775 to that !!
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I was a part of ''Uncle Sams Misguided Children'' from 87-94 and I will never be mature.
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Mature Marine? I think they call that an oxymoron!
  12. tech16024

tech16024 New Member

when your in boot camp on dec 25 (like we were) it's "U Suckers Missed Christmas" lol
  13. woolleyworm

I shipped out on Dec 12.... They did give us an extra 2 hrs that day for writing, a phone call and had a "nice" meal at the messhall..... LoL
  14. tech16024

tech16024 New Member

we got 2 min. to eat all the cookies and cake etc sent in then we went "island hopping" about sand pit #4 candy started flying out of a squad leaders pockets - then it really got fun lol
  15. stitch1870

stitch1870 New Member

"Marines" the only grown group of people where it's socially acceptable to continue to consistently act like a child. It takes less than 5 minutes for bored Marines to start throwing rocks at a common target, less than 10 minutes for a SNCO to address such boredom with verbal abuse followed by no more than a minute of said SNCO's absence for the rock throwing to continue.