any NASCAR fans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevinleif37, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

i don't mean to brag...too much, but i met "the King" today (along with Rusty and JJ), and i've got to say he's as nice, curtious, and every bit as cool as you could imagine...and he looks great for being 72 years young!
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Cant say that I like to watch cars drive around in a circle too much. I'd much rather see them drive on road courses where they have to turn right sometimes.

I will say I was given the opportunity to attend a NASCAR race in Fontana a couple years back. I work with a man whose friend is the president of the local fan club here. She paid for the tickets, the hotel stay (2 nights), tickets for the "party zone" and also got the garage pass. Which we were told is pretty much the holy grail. We got to go to the garage where they kept the cars and got to check them out, meet any drivers that were there at the time and get autographs as well. Apparently people get the pit pass thinking they can go check the cars out, they dont. They get to stare at the cars through a chain link fence. I felt bad though, here I am, not really a fan and I got to be in there while there are die hard fans literally clinging to the fence just to see the cars up close.

Everyone gets to walk to all the sponsors booths, collect free crap and what not. Buy souvenirs. I think what I liked most was all those girls in skimpy clothing in July:D:D:D
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Bein from Eaton Ohio I lived just a fe miles from Tony Stewerts new property and his Eldora Raceway. I even raced at Eldora a few times when I was 16 and 17. I met Tony at his fist sponsered efent at Eldora. Nice Guy, I am not a big Nascar fan though. I used to be but not so much now. I really quit watching around the time Bill Elliot quit raceing.
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I live pretty close to the Talladega Track and used to be a big fan, but like Big Ugly said, not so much anymore. The cars are identical and it's not racing, it's just a big wreck waiting to happen. I never was a big fan of Dale Sr., but he did say one thing I agree with, at least I think it was him that said it. He said it's called racing, bring the baddest thing you can drag to the track and go for it. I believe he was referring to restrictor plate racing. I don't follow it much anymore, it gets boring. I'd rather watch college football.
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I like the trucks they are more about winning than points racing
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I get into the WRC scene any more. Nuttin syas BIG BRASS MIMNOLES like goin 120 mph on a gravel road, through the mountains or forrest, and few guard rails.

When Petty was racing that is when it was real racing. Cars ran the engine size that was sold in them. 426, 428, 460, 390, 389, I could keep goin on.
    I think its embarassing to call it stock car raceing whe the largenst engine in a Camery is a 3ltr V6. and is front wheel drive.
  7. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

NASCAR is the pro-wrestling of motorsports. :p
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Fast cars turning left.....:rolleyes:
  9. hayes1966

hayes1966 New Member

what bus does Bret Favre drive?
  10. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

The short bus...

:p
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Powder horn the short bus is mine and I do make right turns now & then :D
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

That's the perfect explanation of what NASCAR has become as far as I'm concerned.
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I used to be big into NASCAR. Now, not so much. Since the passing of Dale Sr. much has changed and none of for the good. When they call "competition" cautions just to close the gap so their desired driver has a better chance to win (Johnson, Gordon, Kyle Bush) they lost me. It's not stock car racing anymore.

In the old days with Dale Sr, Rusty Wallace, the Labonte's, Jimmy Spencer you could actually rub and race. Now those pantywaist boys don't know what racing is.

As far as I'm concerned, the last real race car driver in the Cup series was Jimmy Spencer. Rub him and he will put you into the wall just like Dale Sr.

It's GIRLY RACING now. :D
  14. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I don't know if it's the economy or loss of fan interest, but I've seen a number of empty seats at a lot of the races. I haven't watched an entire race in a couple of years. I just don't care who wins anymore.
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Man what depressing bunch of folks, geez.

NASCAR in its current form still rocks. I think I found out why so many here don't like nascar, it is because they turn left instead of right. I wonder what would happen to the fan base if they reversed the direction of travel except for the road courses.

Congrats on meeting the King.
    Did you get his autograph, or are you happy with just shaking his hand?