Any need for full power 00 or slugs?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Bushmaster1313, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

Last week I picked up my High Standard 18-7 Riot gun at the local FFL who also has a range "that allows you to fire anything you can carry in"

I got the NICS approval and asked to buy some 2 3/4" 00 and slugs.
    All they had was Remington 00 at about 1300 FPS and Federal 1 oz. slugs.

I have been spoiled by shooting the Fiocchi LE 00 from my padded 870, I was stiff from a body cold, the 18-7 does not have a recoil pad and I really did not enjoy firing those full power loads.

Is there any need in a non-bear hunting scenario to load up with anything more powerful than the Fiocchi LE 00 or LE slugs?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is a purpose for those full-power buckshot loads. Shooting bucks.

Deer are a lot more hearty than humans, so it takes a more powerful load to drop them. The Fiocchi ammo will be just fine in a self-defense situation.

As a side note, I'm really a fan of Fiocchi ammo in general.
  3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

I don't hunt.
    Why use buckshot on deer when a slug would do the job much cleaner and from farther away?
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Within its effective range, buckshot is more devastating to the target because it introduces multiple wounds/traumas upon the body. When hunting in areas where short range shots are the only ones reasonably expected (due to terrain, foliage, etc.), buckshot is a great choice.
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I have never hunted with buck shot. I have dumped a few pounds on the target ranges. I would not hunt any thing with buck shot. I have never found it to be accurate or dependable at more than 15 yards. Just my thoughts yours may differ.

RC
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

+1...our law here requires slugs to hunt with, but even if I had the choice, it would be slugs for the fact as said in post's above. Shot will scatter out after a certain yardage and it may be good up-close and personal, but that's about it! jmo.
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

I hunt deer for meat, and would never consider any buckshot. It would tear up too much meat, and I believe buckshot to be a less than humane ammunition for deer. To each his own. I hunt deer with a 44 mag lever action, and I use #4 buck for HD. Entirely personal preference.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I hunt deer every year with 00 Buck shot. I have killed a lot of deer with this round, out to 65yds., with a 30" full choke barrel. I have had only one deer run after being shot, and that was the 65yd. shot. Inside 45yds. they just drop, and kick.