Any of y'all buyin hay...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smokin Guns, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

...this year?...What are you havin ta pay for squares or round bales...Price is out'a sight here, due ta folks shipping ta the high payin' southern folk...:(
  2. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

fortunately, for now, we have plenty. i say FOR NOW bc we've been dealing w/ people stealing hay since last winter!:mad::rolleyes:

i'm not sure what hay will go for here, but i know it will be EXPENSIVE. we're in a BAD drought here, but thankfully daddy got plenty of fertilizer on the fields & it paid off when we did get rain.
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Glad for y'all! I got hit with the spring freeze and then dry weather...Had to pasture the cows at another place during the summer and bought 80 4x4 round bales and put them away for this winter. The round bales were first cut at $16.00 a bale...It should be enough through March, hopefully spring will be better this year...'Course...if folks in the south would sell their livestock...prices may come down up here...spread the word...;)
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

we had a late cold snap that hurt us too... & now we're down at least 17" in rain fall....

surprisingly, there have been ALOT of cows at the market, since last winter/early spring & the prices have remained pretty strong! (GOOD to see of course!;))

if you got 4' bales for $16, you are doing GOOD! daddy has 5' bales & was selling them for $50 & will likely move the price to the $65 range. of course, he's probably going to try NOT to sell very many...

this yr we put up very few bales of actual hay & put most of it up as balage... he's feeding 5 bales of balage a day (i think the balage bales are 4' bales) & i think 2 bales of hay, so we're going thru it pretty good now...:eek: if he sells any balage, i know the price will be higher, there is more equiptment & alot more expense as far as wrap goes for that stuff.)

they've been planting rye grass this past wk, HOPEFULLY we'll get some rain soon....
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I don't know much about hay, but I wonder if the amounts we were getting here are as phenomenal as some of my clients were saying they were...Seven to ten round bales per acre.

Last year was so dry that they were buying out of State and getting Alfalfa less than Coastal was selling for here...That's TX for ya, "If you don't like the weather, just stick around a bit, because it will change"...

In my business (Lawn & Landscaping), we were gritting our teeth just trying to get to our clients lawns during a semi dry condition, scared to death that we were going to lose a lot of business, while the cattlemen were telling us "Don't fuss over the rain...We need all we can get" LOL, they got it...By mid season you could drive up and down the old farm roads and see tractors stuck in the mud up to the axles. I'd say "no fussing now!" :)

Anyway, I bet these boys around here have more hay than they can fit in their barns...I wanted to stop and take a picture of this one huge meadow...Man, they have not one row, but ROWS of round bails all the way around the treeline of the place.

Crpdeth
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have an order in for 100 small square bales. Paid $4.50/bale last year. Hate to see the price this year:(
  7. You folks mean hay bails have a use other than as backstops for archery practice? :eek:;):p
  8. Lilly

Lilly New Member

Pistol,
    Yes, our hay burners (4 legged kind) eat lots of archery backstops in able to make lotsa fertilizer for next spring!
    Lilly:) Hay is @ $7.00 square bale ( 60#) here in Mich for good alfalfa
    me thinking the big round bales are going over a hundred each!
  9. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I am going to pick up a half ton of alfalfa at noon today, cost is $100.00 for the half ton :eek:. I am very fortunate that I could even get it for that price.:) catfish
  10. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We've been two years now without horses so I'm not up the prices up this way anymore. I'm sure it's been going up though. I could look into it though...
  11. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

First cutting hay, for the small bales, is going for about $3.00 a bale around here, but second and third cutting is going for $2.50 + I can't tell you the price on large round bales. I could look into it, though.
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Heck!...I'd go for some of that Iowa hay at that price...'specially 2nd/3rd cut...:)

Here are the feeders...

[​IMG]

and their field guard...

[​IMG]
  13. RMT

RMT New Member

I know my father in law was paying $4-6 per bail recently.
  14. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I graze but not on hay
  15. Hmmm, could it be loco weed then, Ron, Oxytropis or Astragalus? Both do belong to the legume family, same as beans. :D That would explain a lot you know . . . :D;):p