Any one grind their own meat?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by cycloneman, Jan 16, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am going to grind about 15 pounds of deer and hog today. I will probably make half of that into sausage. Any one got any good recipe's for sausage?
    I think I am going to make a green onion today.
  2. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    What kind of sausage are you wanting to make? I have a pretty good book that has a lot of recipies. Let me know what you are thinking about and maybe I can find something in that book for ya.
  3. cycloneman

I need a recipe for italian and breakfast sausage.

I make a green onion that is spicy. I use Montreal steak seasoning, Tonys, onion power, chili powder, cayanne (sg) pepper, heck of alot of green onion, red pepper flakes.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got a good summer sausage recipe?
  5. cycloneman

heck post it you can never have enough
  6. Zane71464

Looking it up in my files..have it in a second here...
  7. Zane71464

Venison Summer Sausage Recipe
    5 LBS Ground Venison
    Seasoned Salt; 4 Teaspoons.
    Garlic Powder; 2 Teaspoons.
    Black Pepper; 2 Teaspoons.
    Tenderizer (spices); 4 Teaspoons.
    Ground Sage; 4 Teaspoons.
    Liquid Smoke; 5 Tablespoons.

1) Mix all "dry" seasonings well, mix them thoroughly into the venison.
    2) Mix the liquid smoke thoroughly into the venison.
    3)After thoroughly mixing, place the venison in an air tight plastic container
    and refrigerate for 3 days. On the 3rd day, take out and run the venison
    through the meat grinder to blend the seasonings/venison completly.
    4) Take mixture and shape into 5 logs, about 1 LB each. Place logs on a broiler
    pan so drippings will drip away.
    5) Bake at 175 degrees for 6 hours. (4-6 depending on gas/electric oven)
  8. cycloneman

thanks sounds like a winner. I have never tried that. Yet.
  9. Zane71464

This year was my first year of trying it, and it turned out pretty good, just depends on ones taste preferance. Add a little here and there and take a little away...it all works. I made my first 5lbs and then on the second, I did some adjusting.
  10. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    From A.D. Livingston's book Sausage......

Simple Sausage

7 pounds ground lean pork
    3 pounds ground pork fat
    4 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons crushed dried sage
    2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

Throughly mix the ground meat, fat, and seasonings. Shape a thin patty and fry in a hot skillet. Taste for seasonings. Add a little more sage, black pepper, or red pepper flakes to the mix if you want to make it hotter or change the flavor. Either cook the meat right away , refrigerate it for a day or two, or freeze it.

Sweet Italian Sausage
    10 pounds pork butt or shoulder
    2 cups good red wine
    10 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons fennel seed
    1 1/2 tablespoons white pepper
    1 tablespoon dried sage
    hog casings

Cut the meat into chunks suitable for grinding. Spread the meat out on your work surface. Sprinkle evenly with the dry seasonings and garlic. Grind with a 3/16 inch plate. Work the wine into the ground meat. Stuff in hog casings or use as a bulk sausage.

That book is 202 pages of pure sausage making joy. The author gives a lot of tips on how to prepre sausages from all over the world. I have some of his other books and they are good too.
  11. cycloneman

thanks flannelman. That is what i needed to know. I think I will stick to my basic recipe remove the green onion and add fennel seed for the italian. I have a feeling i will use much more that 2 table spoons for 10lbs. Same thing with the breakfast stuff. Remove the green onion and add sage and see what it somes out like. The reason i will stick to the basic's that i use is because I like the heat I get from it.

Thanks again
  12. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

I make this Sweet Italian Suasage every year once I get a deer or two. It is simple, & tastes great. It freezes well too. I usually make about 10-12lbs. at a time and will wrap them in 1lb. packages with freezer paper.

You can adjust the seasonings and pork to your taste.

1lbs. trimmed deer or other big game meat.
    1lbs. boneless fatty pork shoulder or pork butt.

1 teaspoon salt.
    1 teaspoon sugar.

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seed.
    1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning.
    1/2 teaspoon paprika.

1/4 teaspoon celery salt.
    1/4 teaspoon dried crushed sage leaves.

1/8 teaspoon cayenne.

1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce.

Cut the deer and pork into 3/4-inch cubes. Place in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.

Mix remaining ingredients except soy sauce and worcestershire sauce; sprinke over meat. Toss to coat.

Sprinkle soy and worcestershire sauces over meat; mix. Cover. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Chop meat mixture to medium consistency in food processor, or grind with a medium plate of meat grinder.
  13. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy, you might try L E M , or lemproducts.com. They have good products for sausage makeing. Realy good with venison.
  14. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

For those that dont want to stuff casings or have a machine to do it. Here is a tip I use alot when I make sausage.

I take 4 to 6 oz of sausage and roll it like a hot dog. I lay it on a piece of saran wrap and give it a few rolls back and forth to tighten it a little. Then I roll it over and fold the sides in and then finish rolling it. I then will freeze it like that. Whenever I'm ready to use I just throw it in a pot of boiling water for about 12 to 14 minutes open it up and throw it on a bun or if it is breakfast I will throw it in a pan and brown it a little.
  15. Zane71464

Thats good advice there JUNKKING.
    The summer sausage I made, I done the same thing with the saran wrap...roll it, wrap it and freeze it. It does work well.
  16. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We usually grind up 4-5 caribou. I wrap & freeze hind quarters and then grind several times over the winter; make jerky in dehydrator, use a shooter. You have to really clean the meat or it gives it a foul taste. No fat or gristle or muscle, all red meat. I use Uncle Abe's Jerky mix, get it from buffalo NY. They sell a bucket of the spice for 35 bucks, best I have found. I double up on the spice/lb as I like it rich & tasty. Good stuff, even the Indians just luv my dry meat and they don't like anything that's not natural and that means to me no taste.
  17. steve666

steve666 New Member

Breakfast Sausage
    3½ pounds boneless pork butt (do not trim the fat)
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
    2½ teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
    ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 tablespoons rubbed sage, or to taste
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1½ teaspoons ground savory
    ¼ teaspoon ground mace
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    Cut the pork into thin slices or as directed by the manufacturer of the food grinder. Pass through a coarse blade twice. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently with your hands. Take about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and fry in a small skillet. Taste for seasoning. (If you’re like me, you might have to do this several times before you get it right.) Add whatever you like. When you are happy, shape into thin 3-inch round patties. Refrigerate until use, up to 3 days.
    Heat a large skillet over high heat. Depending on the amount of fat in the sausage, you will not need to use oil to fry, especially in a nonstick pan. Fry the patties until well browned and thoroughly cooked, about 4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Serve immediately or keep in warm oven.
    Notes: On the subject of fat content, you will need to decide how much you want. I can't imagine sausage without it. I have seen different ratios, ranging from 25 to 30% fat. Some recipes add more fat than is naturally in the meat, such as extra pork fat or fatback. It would be a good idea to have some on hand so you can add it during grinding if the piece of meat is leaner than you thought. The patties can be prepared ahead and frozen, uncooked, until use.
  18. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

If you don't have a dehydrator you can use cardboard furnace filters (not fiberglass!) get the 20 X 20 inch filters and use a jerky blaster to fill the V grooves with meat mixture. Set them on a 20 inch box fan alternating direction of the grooves and strap them on with a bungee strap. I use 4 coffee cups to elevate the fan off of the table let the fan blow through then filters for a day or two depending on how dry you like it. No clean up just bag the jerky and throw the filters away. I get the filters at a local hardware store for about 60 cents each and I'm sure a Home Depot or lowes would be a little cheaper than that. With this process you can make a bunch of jerky at one time I have used as many as 6 filters on a fan, Although the upper 2 layers had to be put back on the fan for a few more hours. I recommend 4 filters. You can also dehydrate Vegetables mushrooms fruits this way too.