Any one use WW296 or Hogden H110 for Mugnum loads?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by inplanotx, Nov 13, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'm startin a survey and discussion on WW296 and Hogden H110 powder for heavy bullet magnum loads in pistols. I use it exclusively in 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 357 Mag loads. Also use it for 32 H&R Mag loads.

I like it for it's gentle push and complete clean burning. So what do y'all think?
  2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

OK Rick, I'm gonna try some 296 next time I get down to Wausau about 85 miles south of me. Gander Mt. has pretty good prices on their powder there.

Sounds good, I can use it in my 45 Colt loads, thats good for that old timer I've got in the WW-1 2nd model Brit revolver.

Guess I'll poke my nose in my antique loading manuals to see what up with 296.

Thanks, Jim
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, my mistake. Jim, you do not want to use it in the older 45 Colts. I should have mentioned "for use in new Ruger's and T/C's only" Mainly the single action Blackhawks. I don't know if you'll find 296 in old manuals. It is a fairly new powder. I'll see if I can come up with some load data for ya.
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

OK, will only use 296 in modern guns with modern metalurgy.

Jim
  5. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I use W296 for HEAVY loads in my Blackhawk .45 Colt. It is virtually interchangeable with H110. The load is one promoted by Ross Seyfried as being his all purpose load for the .45 in guns other then the custom ones with five shot cylinders. The bullet used is a 300 gr solid and they are wrist snappers. They chonograph around 1300 - 1350 fps and are NOT for the faint of heart. After shooting a cylinder full, with shooting gloves on, my hands ands wrists hurt. Anybody who owns, shoots, and likes a .454 Casull or a .480 Ruger, my hats off to you.

Forgot the powder charge - 23 grains. NOT FOR USE IN COLTS.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Gunfyter, you are correct. Not for use in older firearms. These are for Rugers or T/C's only! 296 and H110 are for modern arms with heavy bullets ONLY! Sorry for the confusion!
  7. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

i use 296 in my Super Redhawk 44mag
    240gr @ just under 1600fps = alot of recoil, but the Super Redhawks heavy weight and long barrel (9.5inch) helps tame some of it
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

ViperGTSRO1, being how you live in South Australia how does that area cope with firearms ownership as I've read about about another guy somewhere in Australia claimed he had to give up 629 .44 mag to the smelters.

Is this true, can they just up and take your property and destroy it because its an nasty ole gun.

I hope its not true.

Your Redhawk is fine revolver, bet it will put the gattors down real quick.

Jim
  9. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

the new laws have restricted pistols up to .38 caliber
    you can have upto .45 if your competing in metallic silhouette match or western action (and maybe IPSC). my club doesnt do that match and the only on that does is about 50Miles away from me.(STUPID DUMB primeminister john howard is the cause of my pain)

i have untill march 31st next year to hand it in, i will probably hand it to the police in a couple days. they doe give you good money for your guns and accessories.

i am currently waiting till the 21st (friday) when i will pick up my Dan Wesson model 740 .357 SUPERMAG (.357 Maximum) to try and replace my Super Redhawk

the .357 Maximum is the most powerfull gun i can get under the new laws (these laws never work when i just replace it with another high powered gun)

when our govenment says GIVE YOUR GUNS we have NO choice or face 10 years in jail. thats why i have been considering moving to the US, plus i have family there too. the reason i havent said anything about it yet is i dont want to think about it
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  10. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

I'm truly sorry my curiousity brought on any pangs of mental anguish, I hope you do get a chance to move to our country some day...but be real careful what state you chose to lite in.

Some of them are really pitiful to recognize our Constitutional rights that we have the RKBA. Stay the hell out of Californicate, New York, Maryland and there are a few others you should check out first.

Best of luck to you and always nice to talk with you.

Jim :)
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bub, You'd be right at home in Texas; it's a lot like the kingdom down under used to be; for sure, we'd be glad to have ya.
    If you are serious, drop me a line, and we'll figger out how to, and where to get ya here.
    You could prob'ly just come and not go back; they're always looking at the river, but wouldn't expect an invasion by sea!
  12. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

i would like to come to texas sometime but not quite yet:)
  13. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I've only used W296. Never used H110 in my life. Should I? What's the difference between the two?
  14. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

For the .45 Colt, the charges are interchangeable.
  15. BADASSKIMBER45

BADASSKIMBER45 New Member

Guys, I shoot the 45 Colt extensively and use H-110 and 296. There is NO difference in these powders, they are one and the same. One makes it and one just puts their label on the can. If you want to confirm this, contact someone at
    www.sixgunner.com
    and they will tell you. You can load less powerful rounds with these powders, but it is recommended to make sure you get enough powder in the cases to fill it up right full. The reason for this is with a fuller case, it is harder to double-charge a case. This would be catastrophic and your likely to lose a finger, a hand or your eyes. Also, these 2 powders are apt to pressure spike with too much room in the case. Just make sure you go by the book, no matter which book you have.
    I use 27 GR of H-110 with a Cast Performance 265 GR wide flat nose hardcast bullet. In my 5-1/2 inch barrel ruger Blackhawk 45, it does 1450. Yes, the recoil is stiff, but not uncontrollable. I also use the same company's 335 GR bullet for 1250 feet per second. that one hurts.

Attached Files: