Any Opinions on a Ruger.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by EddieS1967, Oct 19, 2009.

1. EddieS1967

EddieS1967 Member

I am really beginning to crave another revolver.

Looking seriously at a Super Redhawk .44 Magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, any opinions on this. Please give me the good & the bad of any experiences one has. Have heard they are built like a tank. Not really interested in it as a back-up while hunting 1,000lb. grizzlies, basically because, we have no grizzlies here, haha, but, you never can tell:D:D Have .22,, .25, .38 sp, .357 mag, .40 S&W, Glock .45, but have never had a .44 magnum. A S&W 44 "dirty harry" would be great, but not wanting to spend $1,000 on a revolver, even though I am sure it would hold it's value better.

Sorry about this thread, didn't see starman's post from yesterday. My bad.........

Help, I'm really getting it bad for a .44.
    Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got a Super Redhawk. 454 Casull, not 44 magnum, but it's the same gun. Hell for strong. Big. Heavy. Accurate. Fun to shoot. I like mine. Have had not bad experiences.
  3. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Good timing on the question. My next gun is most likely going to be a ruger 44 or 454 casul. Just something to carry through the woods "just in case". And I've got this sorta addiction to handguns :)

I'll get some info outta this thread too. Thanks!
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have an addiction to Handcannons... :D

Nothing...and i mean NOTHING gives me more satisfaction than going to the indoor range with my range bag and very quietly setting up shop and ripping one down range with that SW 460 Magnum... The guys and gals in the other stalls hollering "GAWD DANG..." :D:D:D:D:D:D

I remember one time there was a guy instructing his 16 year old kid on proper stance and what have not. I had been plinking with the Glock 19c 9mm. Then i got the 460 out and poped one down range right about the time his dad was saying..."just breathe..." :D:D:D:D

I'm a mean spirited SOB.... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm with you on that stuff. After shooting a number of different guns from .22
    up to My two SuperBlackhawk .44's and Redhawk .44 I pull out the .50 Desert Eagle just to wake up the range. You should see people jump! Love the Rugers!
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Some folks love the big guns, some don't. If you have never shot one, then you need to before you purchase one. I started out with the Ruger Black Hawk, in 7 1/2" barrel, and it took me a long time to learn to shoot it. I am now using a 5 1/2" Black Hawk, and am leaning toward the "Tracker" 4" from Taurus, as my next purchase. Remember that you can also shoot the .44 spc. in these guns. I love them all!
  7. EddieS1967

EddieS1967 Member

Thanks all, for all the info, keep it coming!!!

I have shot 44's before, my dad's mainly, and a few friends. What I would give to have that S&W of his now that he has passed.

I love the boom of the big guns tooo, but I have always had S&W, Glock, & Sig for handguns. I have never owned a RUGER in my life so I just really do not know anything about the them, but the Super Redhawk, once you get past the looks of it, seems like it would be a very fun and dependable shooter.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh, thats right...this thread was for a reason... :rolleyes::)
    Rugers... yup, they're good guns. Not as good as smiths but worth what they cost AND they can be fixed up a little to run with the smiths...trigger wise.
    Rugers are built like tanks.

mike
    gn
  9. Sandman

Sandman Member

I really like the Rugers. I don't have a Super Redhawk, but I do have a Super Blackhawk and a P89DC. Both are very good guns. I think you will be happy with the Redhawk. If I were to buy a .44, that is what I would get.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my ruger blackhawk .41 mag single action. Have had it for 20 years. Would gladly buy another.
  11. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Is there a difference in performance and reliability between the redhawk and blackhawk? I'd have a hard time deciding between the two.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Blackhawk is single action and redhawk double action I am pretty sure.
  13. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Well come on, I know that :) I just haven't had much experience witht the two guns to know if one is more of a tack driver. I suppose a lot of personal preference would go into buying one - do you like the classic single action or the more modern double...

I prefer the old school look of the blackhawk. But for four-legged critter defense, the double action redhawk would be much more desireable.
  14. lizardtrack

lizardtrack New Member

I lost the elevation screw from my .44 flattop. Called Ruger, they won't send me one unless I return it to them to have the safety modification installed. I don't want my flattop altered in any way esp since I had a great trigger job done on it. This is just before hunting season opens. I wouldn't buy another Ruger of any kind unless I thought I could make $50 right away. Called eguns.com had the screw in 3 days. screw Ruger no pun intended.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have had the Redhawk .44 magnum with a 51/2" barrel stainless for over 20 years. I originally bought it to carry in grizzly country of west Yellowstone. I have only shot about 100 rnds through it but I believe its one of the best quality guns in that caliber on the market. It's heavy, loud, shoots flames out of everywhere and kicks like a mule, but the satin finish and smooth curves of thick metal make it a truly beautiful piece. I bought the short barrel to conceal it in a small backpack. In those days it was illegal to bring a gun into a National Park, but after a cousin and his friend were attacked by a grizzly, I said I'd rather take my chances with a jury.