Any Opinions on a Ruger.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by EddieS1967, Oct 19, 2009.

1. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

Rugers are excellent guns that seem to last forever.
  2. Python

Python Former Guest

Vaquero .44 magnum, as good as it gets.

Attached Files:

3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I lean toward the Blackhawk's due to the recoil of the .44 magnum. Why spend the extra money on a double action pistol that you can't shoot in double action mode, and hit anything with? Double Action is for a fast second, or third, shot, there is no such thing with a hand cannon! You will shoot them both in single action mode, if you are serious about putting that first bullet where it belongs.
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

For 20 yrs, I owned a Redhawk, 44 mag, 5.5 in barrel. It was about the most accurate out-of-the-box handgun I've owned and the one gun I really regret selling! They are solid as a rock (and a bit heavy), built to last, and easily digest anything you want to shove in the cylinder. I don't know about the Super, but why wouldn't it be about the same?
  5. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I have been shooting 44 Magnums for over 50 years. I own 44 Magnums from a number of makers, but more of them are Rugers than anything else. I own Redhawks, Super Blackhawks, a Bisley, a Super Redhawk, and a custom Vaquero (my avatar) all in 44 Magnum and love them all. I have worn out a couple of Model 29s, but have never been able to wear out a Ruger. They are all accurate and "bullet proof"!

Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  6. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I own 4 Blackhawk/Bisleys. All good, all accurate. But I will NEVER again send any back to Ruger, their service sucks!
    Must have for most Blackhawks is a Trapper spring kit, Ruger goes overboard on springs.
  7. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

Ruger make an excellent firearm. If you remember in the old reloading manuels the max loads for 44 magnum had a warning "not for use in handguns other than Ruger".

That made me think that they may be stronger. The blackhawk is single action while the redhawk is double action. I have had no trouble from either but the redhawk has more moving parts and therefore more chances to fail. In hunting situations you will be cocking the hammer before you shoot even with the redhawk.
  8. Steve in PA

Steve in PA New Member

I've owned, shot and hunted with my Super Redhawk (9 1/2") for probably 15+ years. I love it. I've taken several deer with it here in PA, and hope to take another one this year.

This doe was taken in 2008 at about 75 yards. The load was a handloaded Hornady 240gr XTP over 24.0gr of H110. My SRH is sighted in for 100 yards.

[​IMG]
  9. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

The single action super blackhawk is the only model Linebaugh recommends for his high pressure loads. The redhawk is not mentioned. Also in most reloading manuals they have a special section for heavy loads just for the contender and Ruger super blackhawk. My choice has always been the super blackhawks (never could get over how ugly the redhawks were) and I've got a few of em.
  10. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

i personnelly dont care for the ruger redhawks there just kinda ugly to me lol but hey everyone likes different things right , i would look into a taurus rageing bull , they make sum beautiful revolvers in the bull lineup an itll probly be a few hundred bucks cheaper , so the wife will have less to be mad about lol
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  11. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Ruger has always made fine weapons. Sometimes a little pricey in comparison to the competition. But, it is defiantly a brand to watch for in the used sales.
  12. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

oh yeah absolutely i dont doubt that they dont have fine weapons they been around for generations , there just a lil ugly lol , its kinda like a face only a mother could love lol ,
  13. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

I always thought the redhawks looked pretty good actually.... :p to the rest of ya's

I remember a good friend of the family had one and loved the thing dearly, it went with him on all his trips to bear and snake country (there was a 7-ish foot rattler skin around somewhere to attest to the effectiveness of those CCI birdshot loads for the 44 mag).

Its one of the few 44s ive shot, and I loved it. Was incredibly heavy though, which was my only complaint for a medium barreled revolver.
  14. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Opinions? Everyone has one. Thats why they make so many makes and models. Personnel appeal and confidence in a weapon is all that matters.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a super blackhawk 44 mag. 5 3/4 barrel. This thing is a handful. Very accurate. I also prefer the blackhawk as I cant shoot a 44 in double action anyway.
  16. LDJ

LDJ Member

I've got a Super Redhawk. 454 Casull that I have only had for a couple of weeks. I have a scope on it and have been shooting 85 yards. I am amazed that it shoots so well. It is a SA/DA model with hoge grips, in stainless steel. I like it a lot. The people next to me at the range are impressed also. " like whoo what was that !!"
    LDJ
  17. Orin

Orin New Member

I bought the same pistol nearly a year ago. I shoot/reload for .44 spl and mag so I've enjoyed testing various loads at various ranges. Haven't gotten to 50yds yet but my recent loads were made for that. What I have found is that the gun shoots like a rifle! especially after I did a trigger job on it. Out of the box, it was very creepy. Out to 25yds it'll nearly make one hole and doesn't seem to care what its fed. The sights are a bit oversized though for my tastes... EZ to see but that huge front blade lends towards sloppy aiming. I prefer shooting for the smallest thing I can see. The gun's ez to take down all the way for service & occasional full cleaning. Each time I hit the outdoor range I let one or two guys try it & every one raves about how sweet it shoots.
    And yeh, when some guy with an auto gets on my left side & peppers me with 9mm empties I pull out a few full-mag loads & make some noise... Usually only takes one cylinder full to restore peace & tranquility. Last time a guy down the way pulled out his .500, 4" barrel, & made ME wince! He smiled as my gonads shrank & his puffed up.
  18. NEILT

NEILT New Member

I have never heard anything bad said about anyone who ever owned a Ruger.
  19. DAL55

DAL55 New Member

I've had my Redhawk for 14 years,it has the 8 3/4 in. barrel*Before owning the Ruger I always wanted the S&W model 29 but the Ruger is a smoother profile revolver without the sharp edges the model 29 S&W has and is built & shoots just as nice.Don't take me wrong now the Smith & Wesson model 29 is the cream of 44 magnum revolvers in my book
    Just my opinion
  20. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have several.
    Ruger Bearcat .22
    Ruger single-six .22 9 1/2" barrel
    Blackhawk .30 cal carbine
    Blackhawk .357 mag
    Blackhawk .41 mag
    Blackhawk .44 mag
    and a Redhawk .41 mag
    They all are exceptional shooters with tight grouping at 20 yds, but, I prefer the Blackhawk over the Redhawk, they just look better IMO.