Any opinions on the Remington 597......

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tony Mig, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I was comparing a standard model 10/22, to a couple of Remington 597's today.
    Just handling them in the gun shop, and giving the triggers one or two dry fire squeezes on each rifle.

I know the 10/22 reputation, and the fact that everybody and their mothers make a billion accessories for it, and that's great if you're looking to build a rifle into some space age tack driver....(which I'm not)

I looked at two Remington 597's, one mat s/s, with a laminate stock was priced at $269.95, and the other mat blued, with a grey composite stock was $169.95.
    The more expensive rifle had what appears to be a cheaper made rear sight, and the cheaper rifle had what appeared to be a much better rear sight.....(this could be a difference in age / manufacture date).... Both had a smooth trigger pull with a crisp break, no creep.
    The one thing I wasn't impressed with was the plastic 10 round magazine that comes standard on all of them. The guy behind the counter told me he has heard some of these mags aren't holding up well, but of the Remington 597's they've sold, no one's complaint about magazine failure..."yet".....

Comparing the standard barrel of the Remington 597, to the standard barrel on the 10/22, the Remy is heavier, and has a nicer crown, and the price of the composite stock model is 100 bucks less than the 10/22....(that's a lot of ammo I could be shoot'in).....

I've never fired one of these remingtons, I don't ever recall seeing one at the range, and I have no idea how their quality and reliability is on this model.

I know the quality of their rimfire ammo isn't what it used to be, but I don't want to let that influance my purchase of their firearms......

I'd appreciate your opinions........
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

I have owned a 597 for 8 years. Mine is every bit as reliable as a 10/22 or any other .22 auto, if you use the right ammo (Fed Champions work well for me.) The 597 is larger than the Ruger and has a more adult-size stock.

The Rem. 597 does not get the good press it deserves, IMO.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yea they are both good guns. The question would be which fits you better
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

the rem 597 had 1 or 2 million problems when they first came out , for a few years. Also a big prob with the mags. however , on the third gen mags, rem worked out the problem. you can buy as many of those as you want from them. Also the steel body ones. As far as the internals goes ,those probs were worked out as well. if you have a feed type problem, you can adjust the carrier rails on the inside , loosen or tighten, usually tighten. you are right, with a few exceptions, the 597 is one of the few 22 rifles, or any rifles for that matter , that come with a very nice, fully adjustable rear sight.
    you can fidn a bunch of Remy tweak steps over at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

How long has the 597 been in production, and how long ago did they fix all the problems.......?????

The reason I ask is because the couple samples I was looking at are "New" old stock rifles with the plastic mags. Replacing the one original plastic mag with a new steel one isn't an issue, the issue is, if these rifles come with the old plastic mag, do they also come with the other problems that plauged this rifle in the past......??????
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

These rifles were problems from the day they hit the market. Replacing the new but already dead Remington 522 Viper (JUNK) The 597 appears on the scene----using the same technology but with a return to Remington`s tubed style receiver to stir old owners and fool new ones. The magazine was simply one of it`s many problems. Some swear by them and like them---but the behind the scene truth is they swear at them. Then Remington wanted older owners to "PAY" to replace they`re junk magazines. Remington still pedals this rifle and the size and the actual design is sound and works well (works well---meaning in theory only) Plastic sights on a .22????? We all know that does not work. They don`t learn, so they shouldn`t earn. They should discount EVERY REMINGTON 504 fifty percent to any owner of a 522 or 597 owner, for putting them though the sell then test market like the 1970`s General Motors test new cars after you sell them market, ruining diesel motors in the USA for 50 YEARS

LTS
  7. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

im trying to remember, i think if you have a 597 made post, 2001, except for the rail tightening, which you are expected to do anyway, that it should be fine.
  8. TheDrew

TheDrew New Member

I have a 597 and have been really pleased with the accuracy, but like many other owners my pre 01 597 has feeding problems.
  9. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

10-22 hands down if you want somthing you might be interested in customizing. I do how ever out shoot my wifes highly custom 10-22 with a stock marlin 60. She is shooting a 4-12x40 where I am just using a fixed 4X scope. If I was buying a 22 semi auto I think I would buy another marlin or a 10-22.

Ray
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

From everything I've read here, and at Rimfire Central, I think I'll be passing on this particular rifle.

I'm not looking for a rimfire rifle to customize, I want one that's a solid shooter right out of the box with decent accuracy out to 100 yards.

Since I originally posted this question, I've also been eyeballing a few of the offerings from CZ-USA, and have gotten some good feedback on all their bolt action, and even their CZ511 semi-auto rifles from the crew at Rimfire central.

I'm still not sure if I'll go bolt, or semi, but which ever way I do go, I don't want problematic junk.......
  11. rocklocker2

rocklocker2 New Member

Wal-Mart sells a replacement clip that is metal.I had to take a file to the place where clip is held in to keep it from falling out after a couple shots but now they funtion just fine and never fail to load properly.This gun has proved to be very accurate and fun to shoot
  12. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

i have a REMINGTON MODEL 597 in flat stainless that now sports a Boyds pepper laminate custom stock, and a fixed 2.5X slug gun scope...

i just put it through its paces a few weeks ago...

at 50 yds (bagged benchrest) i put 50 rounds into a hole you could cover with a nickel...

at 100 yds (bagged benchrest) i put 50 rounds into a hole you could cover with a quarter...

this is with a low powered cheap scope (looks good on the gun / balances nice / good but low powered fixed optics)

the custom stock cost lest than $30.00 including shipping...

i have 5 magazines, all of wich function flawlessly...

the gun is cheap, accurate, and can be upgraded in several ways...

the trigger just plain sucks...

i added a trigger shoe, and did some trigger work, wich improved things somewhat...

the early guns / magazines had issues...

its a better gun than the factory stock Ruger 10-22...

of course the 10-22 has more after market parts, mods, and support than any other rimfire rifle in history...

the Marlin Model 60 is a tackdriver, and the tube mag has a nice capacity...

my Model 60 will shoot better groups than the 597, but it has a better trigger and better glass on top...

the most accuratte / affordable .22 rimfire repeater out there is the NORINCO JW-15 bolt action CZ clone...

it will outshoot any of the above referanced guns, and american black walnut custom wood is available from the Great American Stock Co...

i own over 50 rimfire rifles, and shot competition with one for many years...

JMHO.

best regards, mike.
  13. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

i agree, the best , and cheapest out of the box is the mod 60. cz is a heck of a rifle, more money , but also very acc. The jw-15 has ugly wood, but shoots lights out.