Any recs for home def shotshells?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rommelvon, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I have a mossberg 590-A1, currently using 00 and 000 buck for home def loads, the past month there has been a criminal pervert breaking into homes, robbing and sometimes raping the females, I'm looking for something to cut him in half in one shot should he choose my home, I saw a shell in a store a bit back but cannot remember what it was called, the projectile looked like a red tipped missile....anyone familiar with this?....and what are your recs besides what I am using
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

My friend, a 'Dove and Quail' promotional load, of 7 1/2's, will do all you speak of, and more!
    Buck is a 50+ yd load, and is percieved, by many juries, as willful intent to kill; use the birdshot, do the job, if you must, and sleep at home, every night!
    As a sidebar, consider: 150 + pieces of small little pieces vs 30 some large pieces, who's the surgeon's choice? AND, who's the best surgical survival choice?
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Oh, make no mistake, if someone breaks into my home, I dont want to wound them, I want to send them to their maker, a wounded crack head can be more dangerous than a non wounded one......I hope the situation never arises, but if it does......dead men tell no tales
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

stash is right. Buckshot is not for in-house defense. I'd go with #4 shot rather than #7.5 shot, but at 10-15 feet it hardly makes a difference.
  5. I don't disagree with your sentiments at all Rommel, but heavy buckshot for home defense is still not the optimal load. One of the biggest problems with the stuff is possible overpenetration . . . through the perp and through the wall on the other side! :D As Stash pointed out, correctly I think, don't sell a birdshot load short. It is often forgotten, but at across-the-room ranges, a 1 /18 load of 7s or 7 1/2s does not spread out more than an inch or two, even out of a straight cylinder barrel. A man hit with that much lead in the center of mass is going DOWN, right now and forever! A policeman, who might well be shooting at some distance and through barriers is a different story. For that sort of confrontation, buckshot does make sense. A really fun experiment is to take various loads out to the range and experiment with them. Measure off the greatest distance you might conceivable have to shoot within your home and do your experiment at that range. Pattern the various loads and note carefully the spread of shot. The results will likely amaze you.
  6. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll go today and get some bird shot, should I get lead or steel shot?....
  7. Personally, I would go with lead, Rommel. As for shot size, almost anything from 4s through 8s will do, and any perp sure won't notice the difference! :D If you want a high-brass load with a 1 1/4 oz. charge, I would go with either 5s or 6s. For a lighter recoiling low-brass load, get some dove loads in 7 1/2 or 8 shot.
  8. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Thanks Pistolenschutze, I'll pick some up and go do some test shooting this weekend, like thr R. E. Lee pic in profile, my GGG Grandfather was in the Army of northern virginia and was under Lee's command
  9. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

All above true, but anyone getting near my women with a red tipped missle will be welcoming a severe beating from my hickory tipped pecker whacker, a custom club used for everything from beating yankees, to testing tire pressure.

LL
  10. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

LMAO......That's hilarious:D
  11. obxned

obxned New Member

00, low recoil 2 3/4" loads - it'll do the job!
  12. NY_GUNFIGHTER

NY_GUNFIGHTER New Member

At home defence range, birdshot is actually better than buck...little chance of over penetration and it will shred anything in its path, and an easy swayed jury will not think it's 'an evil people-killing round' 7 1/2 shot would work just fine.
  13. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

FYI, the 5 round sleeve on my '97 contains 3 rounds of #6 factory Remingtons, one round of Winchester 00B, and one Remington 1 oz Slugger...

Like many confrontations verbal or otherwise,:cool: I've found it's usually easier to be able to "step up" your approach, than to "step down.....";)

The Single Shot shotgun however that my WIFE would grab however only has 5 #6 loads attached...I don't want her fumbling:p

But then again, even though I preach shotgun-shotgun-shotgun for "Home defense," More times than not when my wife wakes me :cool: because the dogs are barking wierdly, or there is a 'bump," in the night, I seem to grab the .45, because it's a little more convenient, and maybe because it's easier to hide if necessary, and maybe to remove the temptation to shoot either of them (the ANIMALS not my wife!;) ) if I find out I was woken up from "the sleep of the just" at 3:00am because the dogs smelled a CAT....:p
  14. obxned

obxned New Member

There is an awful lot of test data on the 'net. Most seems to point to 00 as the best. Even #4 Buck is a disappointment.
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Rom I really like Hornady's TAP. It says personal defenseso it would really help in court. Also I always mix my loads I load one TAP 00 and then one slug and then one 00 and then one slug.
    Because if it turned into a hostage situation a slug is better than shot