Any recs for home def shotshells?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rommelvon, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Good point with alternating slug to shot, I like to be prepared for any situation
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Alternating usually ISN'T a good thing because in a stressfull situation, especially if you have fired, it is pretty tough to remember under stress which is "up," although at living room ranges you STILL have to get a sight picture no matter what, any shot will only spread 1 " per 3 feet at close range, it's easy to miss at 10 feet...however I DO mix ball and JHPs in my Makarov when I carry it....it is a little small and suspect for BOTH penetration (car bodies?) and "energy transfer," so since both loads shoot to the same point of aim I imagine if I grabbed THAT I would be pretty desperate and shooting more than one round, so it wouldn't matter which one was up the spout when....now having one or two on the sleeve on your stock and practicing so you can quickly switch if needed I think is a better idea...which is why I have one buck load and one slug load after the three birdshot...I figure if I need to fire a FOURTH shot, then all bets are off, I NEED to "step it up...."

No the reason birdshot is more desirable for "home defense" than buck or ESPECIALLY slugs is overpenetration.....ANY buck, and even #2 through BB course shot, will go through both sides of a sheetrock wall with enough energy to hurt or even kill what's behind it (your kids?) and a slug from 10 feet will penetrate several walls, with enough energy to perhaps hurt or kill maybe your NEIGHBOR? Even possibly AFTER penetrating the suspect?

Birdshot at 10 feet (Remember, we are talking INDOOR, "across the dining room" ranges here, will be an amorphous "blob" about 2-3 inches across that will transfer ALL of it's energy (and a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz birdshot load at 1300 to 1500 fps will have MORE energy than a "typical" 1 oz slug or buck load at the same speed) at the target, and not "overpenetrate" the target transfering even LESS energy, and in the case of the slug or heavy buck have enough energy to penetrate the wall and hurt something on the other side you don't want....

You can try it, I have, both experimentally and once accidentally:eek: birdshot at CLOSE range will NOT penetrate the SECOND sheetrock layer of an uninsulated wall, when the NEAR side wall has an ugly ragged 2-3" hole in it.....

Now there HAVE been tests which claim to show that if the suspect is wearing a heavy coat or jacket, the birdshot MAY not penetrate as well as buck, and then may not cause much internal damage, I won't dispute that, but is KILLING the perp the MAIN issue, or STOPPING him...Even if it DOESN'T penetrate enough to kill him, the IMMEDIATE stopping of that 1 1/2 oz of lead by his chest, coupled with the even massive SUPERFICIAL wound WILL stop him, even if it DOESN'T kill him. And most of those tests I have seen were conducted at 15 to 20 feet, not 10....you have to consider at THOSE ranges, the "spread" is 5-7," so the pellets are no LONGER transferring energy as one mass, but individually, which changes the equation, but you WILL have a better chance of HITTING him, maybe also BLINDING him, with a rushed or poor shot that with a slug may MISS...so even then all is not lost....

And the point I've made for years, that somebody wisely noted again above, is that you MUST consider the aftermath, i.e., your day in court AFTER the shooting...

Now some of us MAY be blessed with living in a "free" state, with a "castle doctrine," and/or common sense juries, BUT if I STILL lived in New York, or any of the NE states, or in ANY city, much less any of the big Liberal ones....I would MUCH rather be in court explaining how desperate I was to protect myself or my family that night that I had to shoot him with my RABBIT load from my HUNTING gun than why I had loaded "alternate loads of Buckshot and tactical slugs in my 'riot' gun..." much LESS why I had a LOADED 30 round mag in my AK or AR. or the 15 rounder in my "police" style Glock, all ready and LOOKING for trouble....(A good defense attorney defending the "harmless lovable family man who just happened to be drunk and in your house 'by mistake' that you MURDERED WILL make that claim, and it HAS worked in the past!)

It MAY mean the difference as to whether the dirtbag ultimately hurts YOU as much or possibly MORE than you hurt HIM....meaning keeping you from going to JAIL for a few years and/or hoping your HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE will cover the LAWSUIT...:mad:

In this day and age that IS something you have to consider NOW, not after...

Which is another reason I either have stock hardball or my IPSC "major" SWC HG#68s handloads in my .45 at home....the hardball is available anywhere, and I don't have to explain WHY I needed JHPs, 'Glasers," or "Tactical ammo," and my "target handloads," far from being "mankillers" (Even though they would happen to do NICELY for that too, better than Hardball....;) ) would allow me to testify the same way..."I was so desperate I had to grab my TARGET .45 and shoot him with my TARGET loads....:cool: )
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

Under the bed, my mossberg 500 persueder is loaded with 5 rounds of 7 1/2 birdshot and then the last 2 are hornady tap 00 buck.

my sig p228 is in the nightstand with 15, 9mm 147gr hornady tap.

any potential home invader is gonna have a real bad day (or night)