Any Spanish FR7 or FR8 Mauser gun owners?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by CCubed, May 30, 2005.

1. CCubed

CCubed New Member

I recently purchased an FR7. It's in great condition and I really like the gun. I haven't had a chance to fire it. I plan to this week. I'd like to know what other people who own the gun think about it. I'm also - as it seems any FR7 or FR8 owner is - interested in what other people shoot in their gun. I'm really not into reloading at all. I plan to shoot 7.62 NATO rounds in it as a general rule, although I may try to find some very low (as low powered as I can find) commercial .308 rounds. Any input? Insights? I'm interested and eager to hear. Thanks!
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Commercial ammo and NATO ammo are both loaded to SAAMI specs. Good luck on your hunt for a commercially loaded under powered round. You will not find one.

Now many ways can we ask the same question and still get the same answer? Please go on! :confused:
  3. captdavid

captdavid New Member

Try the Remington Reduced Reciol. It might be just the thing. capt david
  4. Archie

Archie Member

Spanish FR8 Mauser gun owner here

I shot some Spanish NATO spec ammo in mine. It seems to work well.

The rifle is rated to shoot NATO ammo. It does. Don't worry too much about what flavor of ammo you can find. NATO spec ammo is not all that high pressured, as rifle ammo goes. It can't blow up too many NATO guns; that sort of thing is just counter productive.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Who likes odd rifles,
    Archie
  5. CCubed

CCubed New Member

Thanks, Archie. But...you have an FR8. Good gun; congratulations. You have a good carbine there. Take good care of it. I, on the other hand, have the infamous FR7. "Avoid it like the plague," I hear all the time. Sometimes I wish I had just stayed ignorant...well, okay, maybe not. One guy, in another forum, asked whether or not he should just cut up his FR7 and throw it away. That's what some people think about the rifle. Actually, though, I can't figure out why. I have as of yet to read or even hear a story of an FR7 blowing up on somebody. I don't want to be the first one. Anyway, yeah, no doubt your FR8 handled NATO ammo fine. It should. It has a 1943 Mauser 98 action, designed for 8x57 shells. Mine on the other hand was designed to shoot 7x57 bullets. Their CUP is about 4600. I don't even want to mention NATO and .308 Win CUP levels. It's depressing, compared to 4600. But...at least it's always nice to hear about some Spanish Mauser owner who isn't talking about getting rid of his rifle. Thanks. I'll remember you have a similar gun, if I have any questions. Thanks again.
  6. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn New Member

I have the FR-8 and love it, I'll never part with it. You may want to consider handloading? I use 44 grs of W-748 and a mag. primer with a 147 gr. fmj. as a light shooter, it should work fine in your FR-7. It gives a reduced recoil and accurate load through mine.
    Glad to hear others enjoy these nice old girls too! It sure gets attention when she gets pulled out. Most raise thier eyes at a bolt action with a bird cage on the end.

I sure hope you still have her.