Any star gazers here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doug66, Aug 12, 2009.

1. doug66

doug66 New Member

I've always been fascinated with the heavens, but can't "see" anything when I look up at night.
    What I need is a guide that shows and names the constellations. Locations in sky, that sort of thing.
    Anyone one know of a website and or books that might be helpful?

Stepped out last night to take a leak around 3am and didn't spot any of the meteor shower.
  2. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Love the night skies at my Mom's in the winter time. You can see the edge of the Milky Way and The Seven Sisters are always pretty prominent. Crystal clear and it seems you can see forever. . . . .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Google earth has a cool sky program along with an up close veiw of Mars.

Have you noticed all the shooting stars lately? Wow, tons of em.
    I guess that I was outside an hour later than you and saw plenty.

http://www.spaceweather.com/ has tons of information.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

When the aliens took me for a ride you could see the stars close up. No, wait a minute, that wasn't me. I went outside the other night because the newspaper said you would be able to see Mars very close to the moon and it was supposed to be really big. I never did see it. I thought the article said it was near the moon, but I could be wrong.
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I used to be pretty interested in it, when I was a youngster. It's really not practical in Jax as the light pollution makes it difficult to see anything. We have a trip in the Okee in September. The Okee is one of the few really dark places in the East, hopefully we can see some stars. Nope, I see by the tables there is a full moon on September 4. Maybe we will do a moonlight cruise.
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

I like to look and have a cheap telescope, but am pretty much clueless on what's what. The big suckage is the new school directly across the street from the house. It's lit up like the Vegas Strip. :( :mad:

Art
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

ITO books, there are a lot out there. I don't know of any by name, as it has been years since I have referred to any. If you are looking in buying a telescope, there are several kinds. There are reflectors, refractors, schmidt-cassegrain and a few others. Of these, the S-C are the most versatile, and the most expensive. Refractors, I have never liked. Reflectors I have used the most.

Reflectors come as Dobsonian and Newtonian. Either would do. A ten inch reflector will give you a great view of some deep space objects and all the planets. Saturn (with rings) appears to be about 1/2 inch across with a 12mm eyepiece.

A seventeen inch mirror will give you anything you want and more......I will get one of those when I retire.

Books are cheap, but if you are going to get into the hobby, the telescope will run you in the thousands. A 10.1" reflector is a good place to start. 13" is just barely moveable and you had better have a permanent station for the 17.5". Meade makes a good 16" that has an equatorial mount, complete with all the bells and whistles to get you going into astronomical photography.

Get one new. DO NOT get one used. You do not know how the primary mirror as been treated.

This is a fascination of mine as well. My 10.1" reflector was stolen years ago, with alllllll the eyepieces. Haven't replaced it yet. Bummer. Enjoy dude. I started looking at the stars with a 6" cardboard reflector when I was 8. It is fun.

And the inch measurement is the diameter of the primary mirror. My 10" probably stood four to five feet tall and was about 12 inches across (ten inches of that mirror).
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  8. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I just came in from watching the show. A good couple dozen in the last hour and half.
    Cool
  9. doug66

doug66 New Member

I went out for a bit around 11 and again about 2 still didn't see any. By 2 the moon was up and fairly bright which I'm sure didn't help. The wife said she seen quite a few the night before last.
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

It's been too overcast to watch meteors but weather permitting I move the mattress outside and set up the alarm clock. We wake up and watch meteors without even getting out of bed.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah...i seen that Google Earth now does other plannets...but there are no close up views of Uranus yet? Whats up with that?? :D:D:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn

Attached Files:

12. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

They might get a photo of yours but I'm not going to show them mine.:D
  13. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep. Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, `Kimosabe, look towards sky; what you see?`

The Lone Ranger replies, `I see millions of stars.`

`What that tell you?` asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, `Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all powerful, and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Tonto?

` You dumber than buffalo sh**. Someone stole tent.`

IB jus cudn resist----:cool:
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

15. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

spaceweather .com is a great site and has links to a lot of nice sites. They have a satellite tracker to let you know when something interesting comes over. Use it to watch the ISS. Tracks comets and asteroids and shows location in relation to earth on any given date. The Hubble Telescope site has some really amazing photos and shows. There is a lot of data in there if you want to dig it out.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009