Any thoughts on "Lost Battalion"

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

WyomingSwede
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/4/01 2:54:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Any thoughts on "Lost Battalion"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I saw this on TNT two nights ago and enjoyed it. Really liked it since I just picked up an enfield like the ones in the movie recently. Well worth seeing...only thing i didnt like was that you never saw any trees falling during the cannon fire.
    Wyoming Swede

LIKTOSHOOT
    (12/4/01 3:17:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Any thoughts on "Lost Battalion"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tried to watch it twice, fell asleep twice. Wife watched it without commercials....57 minutes, will try again. LTS

Still can`t figure out what kind of rifles their using......
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/01 7:10:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del It's the 1917 Enfield,
    which is impressive on the part of the show's armorers. Most automatically assume that US troops were equipped with 1903 Springfields, but -- except for the Marines -- the great majority were issued the 1917, since the armories at Springfield and Rock Island lacked the capacity to equip the hugely expanded Army.

This model is the British Pattern 14 (Mauser action) with a slightly modified chamber to take the 30-06. Since both Winchester and Remington (at home and at a special facility in Eddystone, PA) were already manufacturing the .303 rifle in quantity, conversion to mass produce the 1917 was relatively simple. I think the three factories made over two million 1917s during the Great War.

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/01 6:29:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt .45
    One knock on the movie as far as the weapons. In one scene a Captain chambers a round in his colt .45. Rather than pull the slide back and let it go (sling shot it) to chamber a round he holds on to it (rides the slide). Why do most characters in the movies "ride the slide" when they load their semi-automatic handguns, but they never seem to jam?

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 12/5/01 6:31:52 pm

polishshooter
    (12/5/01 9:50:21 pm)
    Didn't see it, when is it on next?

Did they use the famous line "WE knew where we were. we were NEVER lost!"

And a story of it long ago had them withstand a "potato masher" attack, then open up with everything the next time BEFORE they threw them, was that in there, too?

OB is very correct as usual...Most, if not all doughboys, including Sgt. York, carried the P-17 Enfield, not the '03, only the Marines were issued them as a rule...as well as "regulars," but there were very few "regulars" at the start of the war, and most of them were chasing Villa in Mexico at the time...

But did they show any other wierd stuff? How about the Chauchats or 37mm trench guns?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/01 10:48:42 pm)
    Chauchats were in there, and firing.

Acting and writing sucked.
    Weapons and uniforms and vehicles looked real nice.

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/01 11:36:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Chauchats
    were there all right. But firing? Must have been special-effects work.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/01 2:33:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Chauchats
    haha - yah it was a sucky piece - well, a couple rounds at a time, anyway

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/26/02 8:24:47 pm)
    Well, I finally saw it this week in a hotel room in Illinois about 1:00 in the morning!

I must say I was impressed!

Everybody had P-17s, good use of the .45 (didn't see all of it, or else missed the "ride the slide..." But then again, I've done that with mine before and it still fed so MAYBE it wasn't too much of a flaw.) Saw some SW or Colt 1917s too...

And even a Polak with the Chauchat ...bitching about it too...that was a nice touch, "We are AMERICANS why can't we get AMERICAN weapons!" (with a Polish accent, I love it!)

Some of the hand-to-hand battle scenes were overdone, there really weren't that many actual full scale assaults, mostly patrols fighting, and I don't remember reading that they faced flamethrowers, but it was pretty good stuff, good special effects...they DID face alot of grenade attacks, where small groups of Germans would sneak close and let fly, but that wasn't depicted...

And I thought I DID see trees falling down, there were plenty of "tree-bursts" anyway...

But they missed the best line...

In the account I read, after the link up, when the battalion was forming up to leave the line after being relieved, a truck arrived with sandwiches for them, and the driver asked Wittlesey if this was "The Lost Battalion" and he supposedly snapped at him "We were NEVER 'lost'!"

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/28/02 11:00:30 pm)
    I watched it again...probably same night...just as good as the first time, I thought Rick Schroeder did an excellent job. swede
    Wyoming Swede

1886lebel
    (6/8/02 2:27:32 pm)
    Man really bash the ChauChats, I am wondering if any of you out there have ever seen a Chauchat in action?
    I have personally seen some that work very well at the Great War reenacting events.
    Not all the ChauChats were bad and horrible weapons there were some that were made very well and performed as they should have. What has given the ChauChat a bad name hs been the Doughboy conversion to 30/06. The weapon wasn't designed to take the higher pressure round as the 8mm Lebel Balle N round that was used in the French versions was a lower pressured round. Yes some of the French complaind about the weapon also but when you are at War and need every available weapon they filled the gap.
    Patrick
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 4:29:55 pm)
    Hi 1886lebel.....Welcome to TFF and especially to the HistoryNuts section.

Thanks for your input. We hope you'll stick around and post often.