Any thoughts on this old knife?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by jondar, Jan 3, 2010.

1. jondar

jondar New Member

I bought this in the late 80' at a guns and sporting goods store down the street from where I worked. Obviously a skinning knife. Can't figure if made by a professional of a talented amateur. Handle panels are bone, pommel (s), hilt and finger rest are brass. Right up against the finger rest, engraved on the blade, rather shallowly, is a peacock with it's tail feathers fanned out. I can't catch this on camera, maybe a better camera would. Blade looks to be 1/16". The shop owner said it came in with a load of estate stuff he bought which included some antique binoculars, cameras etc.

Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. I started it once on EB at $35 with no takers so must not be worth a lot. Jon

Attached Files:

2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

You may wish to ask this question HERE
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Just guessing really, but the shape looks Arabic.
  4. jondar

jondar New Member

That was my impression on first seeing it also, but I believe it is a skinning knife. The brass thumb/finger rest just forward of the hilt is an indication of this, as is the thin blade. Built like a tank. The pins holding the scales appear to be copper or bronze. I can't find any appearance of epoxy being used on it, but would be hard to detect.