Any Thoughts on Training?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by whatugawkinat, Jun 12, 2012.

1. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

I've been wanting to get my CCW permit for a while now and as soon as I get the time and money I will. As a firearm owner and lover I feel it should be a requirement for anyone wanting a CCW permit to be able to handle not only their firearm, but any situation that happens to come about. Point in question:

Is there any civilian training program that specializes in CQC, situational awareness, tactics and the overall mental aspects of dealing with a potential threat?

In other words, as a handgun owner and soon to be CCW permit holder I feel I have a duty to be able to protect myself, my family and my fellow citizens correctly without doing more harm than good. If people feel safe knowing a law enforcement officer carrying a handgun can can handle their situations professionally, then maybe more people would support more firearm owners and permit carriers if they could all do the same.

Any thoughts, input and guidance will be appreciated.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Well i'd say you have the right idea , training cant be beaten except for practice practice practice , but you'd need someone a bit more local to advise who

good luck !
  3. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

Any idea on who to contact? Local law enforcement, NRA...I have no clue.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

NRA would be a good start

Pat Goodale if you can find him

he's in Alderson, WV or was , its been a while

he ran a school that had the FBI visit regular

smart man good instructor ,
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

What, frontsight in Nevada trains people to do what you are wondering about. Since I have worked in armed security at a nuclear plant- and we ran scenarios with metro police- maybe I can help you. You should be just as good shooting with your weak hand as your strong hand. When you can score well shooting right/left/both hands, you are pretty well set.
    Jack is right- the NRA is a great place to start. Anywhere that you can receive training is good. Do you know any police, especially swat members? What about older vets?
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Relative to post #1, there are a number of private training schools that can be located by typing in interrogatory phrases like "defensive firearms training" from any major search engine like Google or Yahoo.

Here is a direct link to one of the larger, better known schools; http://www.frontsight.com/
    If you give them your email addresss you will be deluged with offers and free videos.

None of the foregoing is any kind of recommendation to spend any money with any school. I have never had any association with any of them. I do opine that some of FrontSight's free material is worth watching and reading, and some of it is not well advised or realistic.

If you search the Internet (including YouTube) you can find lots of information about the things that you inquired about. Again, some of what you will find is accurate and useful, and some of it will be useless, wishful thinking, Bull Excrement that has been written by persons who have no actual experiences relative to conducting oneself in emergency situations that fall into the violent attack categories.

Hope this sets your feet on the winding path to the knowledge that you seek.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Take a class at Gunsite or Travis Hayley's school. I would avoid James Yeager.
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Iron Eagle, you work down at Waterford, or a differant nuclear plant? I'm in Arkansas at ANO.
  10. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

here we have a sheriff deputy and a conservation officer that teaches classes
  11. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Id recommend calling your favorite local gun shop and asking them if there is something local
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Someone else who wants MORE rules, MORE laws?

What happened to
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    ?
  13. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

AZ is great. I just took the 1 hour classroom only class. Class plus the cost of the permit, $108. Since concealed carry was made legal without a permit the CCW classes have issued shorter classroom only classes for those who already know what they are doing with a firearm. They just cover the laws and you are good to go. They even have a 30 minute conference call "class" that a lot of out of staters take. The permit is valid in 36 other states but FL, SC, OH, MI, CO require you to be a resident of AZ. West Virginia honors it.
  14. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

Of all the seemingly useless laws and regulations regarding firearm ownership and usage, I agree. But adding one important and useful regulation shouldn't be an issue, and might help erase the many useless ones. Having a CCW permit means you want to carry your firearm ultimately for protection. But more so than that, carrying a firearm holds an important place in society. You wouldn't want an entry level surgeon doing a heart transplant on you would you? Anyone wanting to carry has to carry the weight of protecting those around him, and an unskilled and unprofessional gunman wouldn't set your heart at ease. All I'm saying is that the more CCW permit holders who can professionally get the job done when the time arises (hopefully it does not), the better. Sorry if I come out as an asshole, but just because we have the right to own a gun, does not mean everyone knows how to use them to their full extent and purpose.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you're right what in ct. u have to take classes to get a permit and i am glad i did. I also asked a million questions on this forum and everyone has helped me and i also practice a lot. when i first started shooting one day went to clean pistol and there was a round in the chamber freaked me out and it will NEVER happen again, anyone i bring to the range i tell them about that so they can be aware. Firearms are big responsibiltiy