1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

any Ultralight aircraft experts? Update ;) i've started ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

not totally off topic but anyway

a mate came over and we are discussing our next hunting trip , where i'm relocating too is very close distance wise to where i have been hunting but its either a 4 hour drive or a 3 hour walk/climb up a huge cliff ( 1220 foot) to the plateu

so my mate says why not build another ultralight

well the one i built years ago was fun but but not relaible for this

a frame a lawn mower engine and some wings and basic controls and a plastic seat stuck,,nailed, screwed, pop riveted and glued together

but was so tempermental and did not like any wind ( wind is why i dont have it no more, and a 3" scar on my butt)

i'd like to build one that i could drag out to the paddock clip in the flinters and off i go on a regular basis.. are there any cheap kits available in the US ??

i do not need instramented doo dads just wings and a reliable motor and better controls than i had, i am not a aero engineer, but pretty handy tool wise

yeah i know i'm a nut

but is there a louis beilot style kit ( basic ) out there that one can buy or am i gonna have to "wing it" from scratch again

cheers

jack
  2. petesusn

petesusn New Member

3. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Re: any Ultralight aircraft experts?

Jack I'm not much of an expert. I did own a pterodactyl, which is a fixed wing two axis control with a canard wing, I had it for a few years then cracked er up in a wind gust, :eek: I wanted to live to play another day, so I sold it to a burley ol geezer who had never been off the ground before. (hope he's still alive) :rolleyes:
    Now all the rage is powered parachutes, Definitely the safest ultralight because your always in parachute mode, when the engine fails its a much softer landing

Wiseacre
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

petesusn

that quicksilver link is great just dunno about the cost eh, they have a aussie agent and despite the AUD catching up with the USD the last year its still double the cost

but it looks like just what i'm after for sure, i may just end up doing a total home made again but plagerise the design from something a tad more modern than a old belgium bloke as i did before

Wiseacre this the one ??

[​IMG]

and with the powered chutes ... can you get decent altitude with them? and how would you go with a roo carcass strapped on ? this is to be a hunting buggy , meaning i gotta bring home some meat and the hide

oh and before i built mine i had never had control of a aircraft before , rode in plenty but only as a passenger etc..

cheers

jack
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Dad has a neighbor with an ultralight, but I haven't found the field. I just see him flying on nice days.
    Looks like fun, though.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Whooo Hoooo !!!!

i may have found just what i wanted

[​IMG]

http://affordaplane.com

$7.95 USD for plans and a stall speed of 27 Mph

my first one was about 20 mph (if in trouble bring to ground getout and run!!! ;) )

cheers
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Nice looking plane.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Max yeah
    i'm thinking that too

good reveiws

good weight load ( me, 2 rifles, some basic camping stuff, fuel and enough for left 80- 100lb's of carcass or a smallish passenger )

good stall speed ( how i guage a plane , i know other stuff is important but a low stall speed means i can have a dead motor glide down and if needed bail out at a low speed and walk or limp away)

low build cost ( real important )

and the wings come off for storage so i can tow it to where i want if needed ( like the camel cull) and act as spotter or just be the hoon i am

to petesusn

thanks for the plans link when i looked here i got real type planes only

or ad pages that never show much

thanks for that a couple hours chasing those links and i think i have what i need

cheers eh

jack
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Besides i dont really want to travel far

just to a bloody hard place to get too

for those with Google earth

my new place in NSW will be here

34 29'45.82"S

150 44'44.62"E

and i only need to get myself to here to hunt

34 27'50.22"S

150 43'26.10"E

but thers a bloody big ( 300 meters ) escarpment in the way so its a tough climb which i've done a few times now or a 4 hour drive around... or i'm thinking 10 mins by ultralight

cheers

jack
  10. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Very nice. Should do what you want it to do. Will need more than a lawn mower engine though. Also try these sites.

http://www.kitplanes.com/
    http://www.ultralightnews.com/
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm thinking the motor from a Ural Moto motor cycle ( russian rip off of a BMW motorcycle

its air cooled seperates from the gearbox (dont need a gearbox) a tad better than the original BMW ( no shared oil links) and is a tad lighter but 74 HP instead of the 62 of the BMW and they are pretty much bullet proof and reliable and cheap and uses standard fuel and the pumped carb's will work at 90 deg to normal ( looked at these a long time ago but after the stack i did not need the idea) and is half the price of the rotax motor

either that or cut a VW motor in half and go that way .. we'll see

i have to build a workshop first, starting that in 2 weeks

cheers eh

jack
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

Jack, it sure don't seem like a long flight. If that Rusky motor will get you high enough you'll be able to glide to your spot should it quit. ;) :D

Good luck on your build. ;)

Art
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Thanks Art,

just got back from the local coucil ( local government here) with permission to build a small "dwelling" as they classified it, i'm doing the paperwork for a commercial lease from him , 5 x 5 with options so i'll have a place here on the east coast while i'm here and so i can visit mates this side ( majority live in NSW or Queensland) and then build a bit bigger when i get home to South Australia

its not a long haul but if you slant the google earth thingy you'll see how steep it really is and in winter any small ammount of moisture and its a slippery and sticky trek at best , and bloody dangerous at worst

this way i should be able to fly up early in the morning and spend a full day hunting and come back before dark no worries, besides

flying by the seat of your pants is fun and i dont need no PC medical for these type craft here, just a $400 a year insurance policy to cover the cost of rescue folks if they have to drag my bod back ;)

heres the little shack i'm building

its 4 meters by 10 meters of which 2 will be a wired in avery for my birds ( two pet cockatiels )

and i'll add a 4 meter wide awning to build the plane under ..

the work shop area is the most important as this is built to comply with the nazi style anti gun laws here ( 3/8th " steel plate lined) and the rest will be a little flat for myself and as they have a shower/bathroom set up already at the back of the main workshop ( my mate has a excavation/demolitions business so needs a shower /bathroom setup for his licence)

what more does a bloke need eh?

i should start construction in a couple of weeks , once i've bought all the materials and carted them out there and should only be a month til i am 100% operational

once thats done and i'm making flinters and falling blocks again and have a few in stock i'll start on the plane as my winter project ( just started autumn here)

cheers

jack

Attached Files:

14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i just did the slant thingy with google earth to show you what the cliffs are like

its only 2.49 miles from the road to the landing zone i wish to use ( the power line clearway for the coal mines )

but google earth say the cliffs are vertical for the top 40 meters (129 feet) and about 60 degrees for another 80 meters and 392 meters tall in total

there is a path up thats not too hard but steep and slippery as hell if even a drop of moisture is about and as its facing the ocean winds its nearly always a little wet

i know its a long climb and in wet, a bit tough is a understatement

take a look..

Attached Files:

• GE1.jpg
      GE1.jpg
      File size:
      154.4 KB
      Views:
    • GE3.jpg
      GE3.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
  15. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Yo Jack,
    here is a pic of my old feathered fighter on the trailer = the canard wing.

Attached Files: