any Ultralight aircraft experts? Update ;) i've started ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey when i first started this that 5 oz of gold was just shy of $6000 before fee's :) $7500 i just saw

OK, i've been doing a few parts and such , i got a Ural 1986 650 cc motor( russian motorcycle)
    injector kits on the way..

i'm cutting Aluminium ( 6061 T6) plate for brackets and angles and braces and airfoils

i've a floor full of parts and now have finished the 2nd workshop i can start assembling a few , its all basic flat to 3D time , once all the brackets are done i'll link them with the frame struts and spar's, wings as well, i've ash ( timber) to be wrapped with CF cloth and resined then baked .. , full metal frame out half way on each wing , CF wrapped ash the other 1/2 ( sheet Alu. end caps )

and i've a great fabric for the wings.. pic's as soon i have more than bit's in milk crates and boxes

I hope it'll end up a 2 seat affordaplane within about 10 months and cost $4200 ( i've paid for everything and got most of it )

saves highjacking Terry's thread to update folks
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

If you plan to take off from that valley and fly directly over that ridge and land up on top.Make sure you approach the ridge line at a 45 degree angle so you can escape from a down draft by turning away from it.Never fly directly at a ridge,esspecially in an under powered ultra-lite aircraft.Most private planes are under powered also.Winds tend to come over a ridge and flow down a valley a lift on the other side.If winds are blowing from the top of that ridgeline toward that road that could be a danger.I would have to be certified in high mountain flying every year as a search pilot.The mountains a covered with airplanes in Nevada,California and Colorado.I like that picture of the yellow model you showed us.Sounds like fun.I hope you don't mind me pointing out a safety tip.Happy flying!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

A friend of mine trailered his to our deer camp quite a few years back...We used the thing for fun and 'scouting' the area...Sitting around the camp fire one evening we discussed mounting our M-16's (for which we had the .22LR conversion kits) on the thing to strafe and dog fight the buzzards attracted to the gut pile...Now that would have been fun, if not all sorts of illegal...:D
    A few zip ties and duct tape and we would have had a red-neck fighter!!

Never quite got around to that idea...seems a divorce cost him the ultra-light and prob saved quite a few buzzards and coyotes...
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

my first one i never took a rifle with me despite seeing lots to shoot at .. i shoot out of choppers when on cull's but someone else is flying the thing when i do :D
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Jack,

Ever considered a Trike. I took a demonstration ride in one and was impressed.
    Probably the easiest to fly and safer than most (glide to a landing). Most use a Rotax but if you could adapt the engine you mentioned you could probably get the cost down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

affordaplane is a trike just 2 forward 1 back in the conventional sense

the trikes ( 1 forward) have no tail and the 1 forward set up suites that better

i like a tail .. for a few reasons

but mainly so i know when i have enough air speed up to do ultra short take off's from cliff tops

you cant guage that with a regular trike with no tail..

sounds crazy but its not really ..
  7. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Raven818 = willing to loose weight. :)

On second thought :rolleyes:
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

stall speed on the affordaplane is also only 22 MPH and i'm modding it trying to get 18 MPH stall speed so flight speed need only be 25 MPH to have good control

take off on a high enough cliff at say 15-20 MPH and you have enough air flow in 2 seconds to sustain normal flight from there on

the storch ( stork in german) was a trainer , it had a stall speed of 22 MPH too

folks used to hang onto the wings and drop off at 10 feet off the ground and hit the ground running , literally..

the trike style above needs a higher take off speed ( 35-45 MPH on average) and have stall speeds of 30 MPH and up

it'll be fine as long as i dont overload it ...
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

stall speed on the affordaplane is also only 22 MPH and i'm modding it trying to get 18 MPH stall speed so flight speed need only be 25 MPH to have good control

take off on a high enough cliff at say 15-20 MPH and you have enough air flow in 2 seconds to sustain normal flight from there on

the storch ( stork in german) was a trainer , it had a stall speed of 22 MPH too

folks used to hang onto the wings and drop off at 10 feet off the ground and hit the ground running , literally..

the trike style above needs a higher take off speed ( 35-45 MPH on average) and have stall speeds of 30 MPH and up

it'll be fine as long as i dont overload it ...