The Firearms Forum banner

Any vintage Savage experts here? I have a very early 1899B with odd features.

947 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Nyles 
#1 ·
I'll preface this by saying I'm a military collector and far from an expert on Savage 99s, but I recently bought this very early 1899B from the gunshop where I work and it seems to have some unusual features from my research.

It's serial 27731, which according to savage99.com puts it at either 1901 or 1903 production, depending on which serial number chart you believe. It has the 26" octagon barrel and crescent butt, and the early style bolt-mounted cocking indicator (which doesn't seem to be working - it won't move on it's own, but with the action cocked I can push it up and down with my finger, and if I fire off the action it stays locked up until I recock it, and then I can push it down again).

What's weird is that has the 1895-style bolt with the longer round section in front, and a strange slot milled into the front of the receiver (it's square, so not a dovetail). The front stock doesn't have a schnable - it's clearly been broken and fixed, so that's probably what happened, but doesn't show any sign of ever having one. There's no Model 1899 marking on the barrel - I've seen round barreled guns in this serial number range with it but haven't had another octagon barrel to compare so this might be normal. The safety is different and smaller from any of the other 1899s and 99s we have in the shop, but none are quite this old so it may also be normal.

Can anyone explain all this to me?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.