Any Walther PP experts?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dgwlhnt, Sep 6, 2006.

1. dgwlhnt

dgwlhnt New Member

I am looking to buy an older Walther PP, but don't know much about what to look for in buying one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

When you say "older" I assume you want a German made pistol, not one made in the USA. Do you want a post WWII or a wartime pistol? Do you want it in .380, .32, or .22LR caliber? How much are you willing to spend? Is it for shooting, carrying, collecting, or what? If you state your needs more clearly, we can give you a fairly intelligent answer.
  3. dgwlhnt

dgwlhnt New Member

German made. war time or post war doesn't matter as much as quality. interest in gun is both collecting and carrying. would like to spend around 500? As far a caliber .380 or 9mm is preferred. Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

DGW, the late wartime guns were rougher, by far, than pre war, commercial guns, which were comparable to the Pre war Colt: This is where I would look, as an investment, at 98% or better condition. Such a pistol, depending on condition, could command a price well in excess of $1500 US; way too high, for a carry gun, where I live.
    The post War, Manurhin guns seem to have little value, by comparison, and function well. The earier guns were seldom, if ever (Stoeger Contract?) built in .380, rather, most, in .32 auto/7.65 Browning, with an (now) expensive few in .25 acp; these may well command a 100% premium.
    At the price point you indicate, an American pistol, .380, in stainless is within reach, if you shop, and would be my 'pick of the litter' for a carry gun, tied with the PPK-S, of same provenance.
    I'm sure this is not the news for which you hoped, but may shed some reality on your search.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  5. wonderwhippet

Sorry, but stainless is out, as the Germans didn't make any. The best you can do with $500 to spend on a German .380 is to buy an Interarms import PP or PPKs that has seen a little use, something made in 1969 or 1970. Incidentally, a Manhurin is OK too, as they were made on the same assembly line as the Walthers, but just given a different name.
  6. dgwlhnt

dgwlhnt New Member

Thanks for the information on the German PP. Is this reliable gun to shoot or can you suggest a better gun for around 500-700?
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They are good guns. What else are you wanting for $500-$700 new or old
    used or new. Any caliber preferences
  8. wonderwhippet

If I could have only one gun I would get a .45 or one of the many 1811 clones. I prefer the old fashioned Colt pistols, preferably a series 70 Government model or a Commander. If you own one of these you have something ideal for defense, target shooting, plinking, or just for concealed carry, not to mention that it would be 100% reliable, a real man stopper, and it will last you a life time. This is my main pistol. The PPK I carry when I need something flat and light to carry and it is a trade off when it comes to power. But once again, if you have only one gun I advise you to make it a .45.
  9. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Your timing is a little off. Aim Surplus and SOG had post war PP's in .32 for sale most of the summer. Dealer price was under $300. I just looked at their websites and don't see them listed anymore.
    Check the auctions, I'm sure some dealers bought them up just to put on internet auctions.
  10. witchdog

witchdog New Member

I have a question about engravings on my walther pp. found left hand side above trigger, just below slide bar towards the front of the barrel is LP By also has deep scratched XX over markings (looks like someone tried to cross it out?) or could be F W over engraved markings. Any ideas? also imported by Interarms, "manufacture de machines du haut rhin" on slide bar.
  11. norton m gross

norton m gross New Member

I did buy a walther pp in .32 calibre-made ny manurin.
    I guess I was fortunate as this gun is in beautiful shape, where most of the ones they had for sale were kind of messed up.
    this gun has to be a freak, because it shoots like a target pistol, yet it is a pocket pistol!
    I cannot say more or better things about this gun!